Improving existing fence to keep bobcat out of chicken yard

I couldn’t copy the link, but if you will go on YouTube and do a search for Bobcat chicken coop, you will get a good idea of how a bobcat will stalk a coop and then jump a high fence and go after chickens in a coop. Warning - This can be a somewhat disturbing video for some viewers.

There are components available (TSC) to attach electric fence wire or tape to your existing fence. I have electric wire running both along the top edge and about 6" off the ground on my 5' pasture fencing. If the bobcat launches off the ground and completely clears the fence, this arrangement is unlikely to help. If the cat jumps up and uses the top of the fence as a springboard, he might get zapped. I leave my fence charger plugged in 24/7/365 unless we have extreme high winds (more often than not) since my wire sometimes sags and can smack the metal fencing.

Oh, this is helpful. I’m going to go to tractor supply and check it out. Thanks! For some reason, I couldn’t upload a photo but in desperation, for some added security, I bought one of those ridiculous 10 foot “air man”Blowers. like the kind you see at used car parking lots blowing around to get your attention lol. He’s plugged in about 10 feet from the edge of the chicken fence doing his thing wildly flapping around. better than a scarecrow I think . The chickens are getting used to him. Fortunately, the woods shield him from the neighbors. However, they can hear the motor. They said they don’t mind . I am also strongly contemplating setting my own trap cage. I had someone out from up pest company and it was ridiculous. They wanted $900 which would includeSetting up their trap, checking the trap once a day, and if after seven days, nothing is trapped they take the trap and you’re out the money.I used to get so much pleasure out of my chickens. Now I just worry. I was previously going to add to my flock of 6 remaining this summer, but now I don’t know. Thanks for your response. I guess I just added more information than you needed.😊

I currently have a 4 foot fence surrounding my chicken coop. it’s 176 linear feet. My chickens were allowed access out of that areaUntil I recently lost three birds in the last week.These of course were not just birds. They were my pets, and I loved them dearly. I now have only six birds left. I assumed it was hawks, so we really reinforced the overhead area with fishing line, netting, etc..Unless I was out there with them, I kept them in this “safe” area. The canopy of the trees in the enclosure really obscure the vision of this area from above but I guess it wasn’t enough. Today we discovered the culprit was a bobcat. I know this for a fact .So I’m desperate to protect my chickens without confining them to their coop (Which is very secure, and I think I actually would detour a bobcat at night. At night we also turn on the electric fence which runs parallel to the shorter 4 foot fence. We have wires at about 5 inches 19 inches and 3 feet. I know this keeps the raccoons etc. out but I doubt a bobcat would be impressed. So the reason I’m writing as I was wondering if anyone thought it would work if I pounded 10 foot stakes along the 4 ft fence line and connected three strings of barbed wireAround the perimeter. This would make a 10 foot barrier. It’s all I can think of short of having a 10 foot fence installed. It’s not a project we could do ourselves and I think the cost would be astronomical. I appreciate any input whether you think this would keep the cat out. Or any new ideas would be appreciated. A shotgun might be an option but the bobcat is so fast I doubt we could pull that off. I don’t like to think of killing, wild animals, but I don’t want my whole flock to be wiped out either. I’ll try to enclose a picture of the existing fenceWhich is not that sturdy, but was enough to keep the chickens contained. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.
After discovering we've got a bob we called our state DNR office to find out how to keep it away and was advised to set our lowest strand of hot wire at 5-6" off the ground (small predators)and 12" off the ground for bob cats (nose high) Baiting your fence will produce the best results because it bites them in the mouth before they test the fence! Wishing you the best!

After discovering we've got a bob we called our state DNR office to find out how to keep it away and was advised to set our lowest strand of hot wire at 5-6" off the ground (small predators)and 12" off the ground for bob cats (nose high) Baiting your fence will produce the best results because it bites them in the mouth before they test the fence! Wishing you the best!
Oh, thanks so much. Five and 12 are about the height so I have in addition to a three footer in case A bear comes nosing around. Baiting the wire is a great idea. My question is … I assume you put a small piece of meat and won’t it just zap till it falls.? We have had several geckos that met their fate on the wire, and you could hear it zapping which I would think would scare the cat away. Maybe you didn’t mean to put the meat on the fence but right behind it on a post or something? I’m encouraged to hear that using electric fence was mentioned by the DNR. I had no idea if they sniff the fence or just leap over it. I do keep the fence on 24 seven now and haven’t had a problem. Of course the bobcats may be in another area right now. Thank you for the idea!

Most predators scout our chickens out before they attack so baiting the fence gives us the opportunity to send it running before it actually attacks . A shock to the mouth and nose is very painful , a lesson they never forget. I use chicken wire and wrap it around my bait.(hang it with a piece of wire)

Oh, thanks so much. Five and 12 are about the height so I have in addition to a three footer in case A bear comes nosing around. Baiting the wire is a great idea. My question is … I assume you put a small piece of meat and won’t it just zap till it falls.? We have had several geckos that met their fate on the wire, and you could hear it zapping which I would think would scare the cat away. Maybe you didn’t mean to put the meat on the fence but right behind it on a post or something? I’m encouraged to hear that using electric fence was mentioned by the DNR. I had no idea if they sniff the fence or just leap over it. I do keep the fence on 24 seven now and haven’t had a problem. Of course the bobcats may be in another area right now. Thank you for the idea!
I have seen people hang strips of aluminum foil with peanut butter or bacon grease on it. Some even use strips of bacon .Another popular way to bait your fence is use a partially open can of cat food and hang by the tab with wire

Most predators scout our chickens out before they attack so baiting the fence gives us the opportunity to send it running before it actually attacks . A shock to the mouth and nose is very painful , a lesson they never forget. I use chicken wire and wrap it around my bait.(hang it with a piece of wire)
Oh, that would work! I’ll try that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom