Happy day pulling the coop out of the barn.

2FunKids

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
It is a beautiful day here in Michigan. I have been working on my coop and I finally pulled the coop out of the barn and put it in place. I still have to build the pop doors to the run and do some other misc things. Here are a few pictures of my coop. I am doing deep litter so there isn't a floor in it. It's 6x8 and the door is about 24x72. The wood was from my old pool deck. I am thinking of adding eight foot runs on each side of the coop to allow them to seek shade.

I have some questions also but first here are the pictures.

I am Wondering if anyone has recommendations on a type of latch to use on the four windows that are hinged at the top. I will have hardware cloth over the opening on the inside. If we need more venting we plan to tilt them out a bit. We are not sure what to latch them with and hold them open with. Any ideas?

I am also thinking of building hardware cloth frames that can be placed along the floor of the coop to keep predators out rather than attaching a skirt of hardware cloth around the outside. I figure it will be covered in compost anyway. Does this sound like an idea that would work ok.

Thanks for the help and thanks for looking at my pictures.

It is a beautiful day here in Michigan. I have been working on my coop and I finally pulled the coop out of the barn and put it in place. I still have to build the pop doors to the run and do some other misc things. Here are a few pictures of my coop. I am doing deep litter so there isn't a floor in it. It's 6x8 and the door is about 24x72. The wood was from my old pool deck. I am thinking of adding eight foot runs on each side of the coop to allow them to seek shade.

I am Wondering if anyone has recommendations on a type of latch to use on the four windows that are hinged at the top. I will have hardware cloth over the opening on the inside. If we need more venting we plan to tilt them out a bit. We are not sure what to latch them with and hold them open with. Any ideas?

I am also thinking of building hardware cloth frames that can be placed along the floor of the coop to keep predators out rather than attaching a skirt of hardware cloth around the outside. I figure it will be covered in compost anyway. Does this sound like an idea that would work ok.

Thanks for the help and thanks for looking at my pictures.
Yes, 1/2" hardware mesh on the floor of the coop is a good alternative to a skirt. You'll want a fairly deep layer of bedding/compost.
As far as locking the windows (that is the same window set up that I have), anything that snaps or falls into place, and you can put something like a carabiner through it. A hasp would work.
If it wasn't dark, I'd take a pic of mine.

Last edited:
Nice looking coop!

I also have top hinged windows with HC inside and just screw them shut in winter and prop them open with a stick of lumber in summer.

You could put a turn latch up near the hinge and use that to hold them closed and prop them open.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_469440-37672-57078_1z0yka2__?productId=4461715&pl=1

Are your eaves open?
I'd add some large gable vents for winter ventilation.
Pics of inside?

Last edited:

Nice looking coop!

I also have top hinged windows with HC inside and just screw them shut in winter and prop them open with a stick of lumber in summer.

You could put a turn latch up near the hinge and use that to hold them closed and prop them open.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_469440-37672-57078_1z0yka2__?productId=4461715&pl=1

Are your eaves open?
I'd add some large gable vents for winter ventilation.
Pics of inside?

Thanks for the hardware recommendation. Screwing them closed had crossed my mind and seems nice and simple. I seem to over complicate things.

The eaves are closed but the ridge has venting along the top. I think the boards are shrinking down from not being horizontal on the deck so that is adding to my ventilation, lol. I will measure the moisture inside going into winter. Thanks for the vent suggestion, that's a good idea.

It's dark now but I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. Other than my nesting boxes it's kind of bare in there. I have two boxes behind the front window.

Today I ordered 36" x 100' of 1/2" hardware cloth for the run. I am thinking of a 6' x 9' run on each side. One will be north facing and one south facing for varying shade vs sun. I plan on covering the runs with tin. I like the look of a lean-to but because my eaves are only about 5 foot high that would put the ends of the lean-to pretty low. I think my runs are going to have low ceilings. Any recommendations there?

With kind regards

Ray

Might want to open at least one eave up, cover with hardware cloth.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

A little confused about the location of the nests, they look to be next to the door, but exterior photos show windows on both sides of door.
Best to have nests lower than roosts, so they won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop them up.

You probably want to be able to walk into the run, unless you've got great knees and can crab walk...or don't mind crawling in poop if necessary to retrieve a bird/egg/etc.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Might want to open at least one eave  up, cover with hardware cloth.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

A little confused about the location of the nests, they look to be next to the door, but exterior photos show windows on both sides of door.
Best to have nests lower than roosts, so they won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop them up.

You probably want to be able to walk into the run, unless you've got great knees and can crab walk...or don't mind crawling in poop if necessary to retrieve a bird/egg/etc.

Just some thoughts.

These are great recommendations. I am going to drill 6" holes all along the eaves on each side. We are in SW Michigan. The nests are behind the window. The window is the access and we plan to hang a curtain to keep it dark. I also agree on making the run high enough, I just need to figure out to make that look nice. The boxes lift off the wall easily with slotted screws but the top one is 42" up. I can put the roosts as high as 80" if they would like it up that high. Here are a few more pictures I took tonight.

I thought I would post an update for this weekend. The roof is built to slide off and on for cleaning or dumping compost.

Back
Top Bottom