hard swollen abdomen in almost two year old hen

Nightbird1001

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Alaska
I have an hen that has a hard abdomen, her symptoms are: hard abdomen, feathers puffed, sleepy, not wanting to eat, and her poop is very runny. from what I have found so far whatever it is I know its deadly and requires veterinary assistance but I am hopping that you people have a solution that is not costly and I want to know the three different name is have heard of. I know she not egg bound. Please help me she is my baby.

She sounds like she's got egg yolk peritonitis. Unfortunately, it's bad. I had one who had that a couple of years ago and she ended up dying.

If this is it, eventually she become so swollen that she cannot lie down because it will cut off her breathing. She's uncomfortable now and will get worse soon. You can drain the fluid from her abdomen but it's really just a postponement of the inevitable.

I'm sorry, but it might be best to do something soon that will ease her discomfort.

Best wishes, Mary

Sorry not to have any better outlook but I agree, either peritonitis/internal laying or she has ascites caused by some other serious problem. You can treat with antibiotic's to help clear up infection but it's kind of pointless because it does not solve the cause of the problem and it will most likely come right back. As mentioned by Fiberart57, draining the fluid can make them a lot more comfortable and make it easier to breath but it does come back. I've gone through this with several hens and I've gotten to the point that when I see them looking like this I just put them down. In the past I've treated with antibiotic's and drained them but I just haven't liked what I've seen as they progress and they all died in the end anyway, so now I end it earlier rather then later.

Back
Top Bottom