Hardware Cloth on bottom of the run...

Thank you! It has been a debate going on in my head like Pig Will and Pig Won't from Richard Scary's Busytown! My dd says just get the coop done as I am making it too complicated! Lol. Just can't redo or build another later. This is it.

I have used 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom of every chicken run I have ever built and the chickens never had any problems with it. I would suggest however putting a layer of dirt or fine pea gravel (if it gets rained on) over the hardward cloth. I always have a roof of some kind over my runs so the dirt does not become mud. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Yes, that does! I was thinking of putting in a layer of dirt and sand(play?) under the raised coop with an extended roof by a foot hopefully all around. And possibly dividing it in half with half being dirt and and, the other half pea gravel. In the winter I am planning on putting a 3'x6' plywood back on the back to block some of the snow and bitter wind then some clear plastic on the sides leaving the front open. Also going to put a small sand /DE box under the coop. And a swing because I think it will be fun to see them try it! Maybe it keep them from getting bored. Hope to build a rye grass box out of scraps to put in the run. Wait and see...
Any other thoughts?

Sounds good but I would be careful about using sand. Fine sand such as playground sand, or beach sand has occasionally impacted a chicken's crop causing its death. If you are going to use sand, use a course and sharp river sand that is rough,with different sized pebbles in it. You should be able to find this type of sand at a local sand & gravel yard where they have it washed it. For attaching the hardware cloth I have always used galvanized fence staples and never had a problem with them, although some people claim that drywall screws and washers will make it more predator proof. Tin snips, diagonal cutters, or heavy shears all work well for cutting hardward cloth, or if you have one and can take good measurements, a table or circular saw will also work well and is much faster.

So not play sand but course then. Pretty sure I can get that the same place I get pea gravel from.
Just bought these shears from Lowes that the guy claimed would really cut it as they can cut keys. He also said I'd I don't like them I can return them. So hoping that works with my bad shoulder. Hmm, circular saw.... Another reason to get one! Wonder if DH would notice $ gone and a new tool? ;)

You can just use pea gravel, but you should put a flat box in the coop somewhere for the chickens to take a dust bath in. Wood ash works very well for their dust baths.

I placed hardware cloth on the bottom of my run and it has cut off many toes. I feel so bad I had no idea it would do this. They have only been in the run for a few days. Im not sure what to put on the bottom now? Will the toes, and nails grow back?

Nails will grown back, toes won't. Did you put anything on top of the hardware cloth (pea gravel, dirt, etc.) or just leave them on bare hardware cloth? I've never had a chicken lose a toe to a hardware cloth (covered in pea gravel or dirt) bottom.

Back
Top Bottom