Hardware cloth size? Mink attack :(

Shan30

Songster
8 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Vancouver island
This morning we were woken up at around 4:30 to a mink decimating our flock. We've captured and "removed" around 10 over the last five years but have never had one find its way inside the coop before. As I wasn't sure how it was accessing I did not want to lock then inside today so they are out and hopefully ok while I am at work as I had no choice but to leave.

Of around 40 it had killed 10 and I'm fully aware of what I may go home to find. (Longest feeling day ever)

Will be stopping and purchasing hardware cloth on my way home to close up any openings I can find. (Coop is 20x10 so this could take a while) I assume that 1/2" inch will stop the mink but will it also stop rats?

Last edited:
Or if you can find some 1'' hardware cloth that is a heavier gauge and then the 1/2'' on top of it.

I don't know that I've ever had a mink or weasel or one of the cousins attempt to breach my house, but I used 1/2" x 1" welded wire. So I don't know if that works of if it has never been tested. I can't imagine one could get through it. It is 14 gauge, so is a lot heavier stuff than your standard hardware cloth, some of which is 17 or even 19 gauge. But if the lighter 1/2" stuff is what you can find, that is what you should use.

This morning we were woken up at around 4:30 to a mink decimating our flock. We've captured and "removed" around 10 over the last five years but have never had one find its way inside the coop before. As I wasn't sure how it was accessing I did not want to lock then inside today so they are out and hopefully ok while I am at work as I had no choice but to leave.

Of around 40 it had killed 10 and I'm fully aware of what I may go home to find. (Longest feeling day ever)

Will be stopping and purchasing hardware cloth on my way home to close up any openings I can find. (Coop is 20x10 so this could take a while) I assume that 1/2" inch will stop the mink but will it also stop rats?
What kind of mesh do you ahve now?

1/2" should keep about everything out(but mice) IF you attach it properly...screws and washers at frequent intervals.
No edges left gapped to get tooth or nail into....it can be torn if they can get a grip.

Back
Top Bottom