Hardware cloth what is it?

Kimmyh51

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2015
Hi everyone

i am in New Zealand and often read articles on predator proofing runs with “hardware cloth”

when I search this I just get images and links to places in NZ selling chicken wire

i was hoping someone could please post some photos (ideally one from a few metres, and one very close up) of hardware cloth As the articles I have read say it is not the same thing as chicken wire but is much more predator proof.

Chances are if we have it here in NZ, it has an entirely different name than “hardware cloth”. If I can see some pictures of it, I might know what name it goes by here, and what I need to go and look for in the store

I’ve done a number of searches and all I can ever find is wire netting/chicken wire, not predator proof stuff at all.

I’ll attach a photo of the type of search results I get when I look for hardware cloth.

Is this (in my photo) what is known as hardware cloth in the us/canada, etc? If not please can someone post a photo so I can figure out what it is called in New Zealand. It is also possible that what I call chicken wire over here is actually different to what you call chickenwire over there and therefore that what you call hardware cloth could be what I call chickenwire LOL

Also anyone have any photos of how they secure wire netting down and out from the bottom of a run? Had a lovely sweet wee drake dragged out between the wire and the bottom bar of the run a couple of days ago by something. I had the wire down on the outside of the run, and then secured to the bar along the bottom of the run and going outside the run from there, thinking that putting it inside the run could cause foot injuries
but this drakes head somehow ended up between two of the cable ties, over the top of the bottom bar of the run and something stripped him right down to his bones.😥

I'm now wondering if i should have put the wire down on the outside of the bottom bar and then put it around the outside and under the bottom bar and back inside the run, as that would’ve meant there was no way his head could’ve been pulled out between the wire and the bottom bar, the way this poor drake was found.

I’ll attach a photo of the type of run I am using .

Also, when a drake gets killed, why is it always the sweet wee lad who is just lovely...? 😪😰😥. While the randy rapey wee sh-ts just seem to live on and on! (And no, none of those randy rapists did this, most were not in the run at the time, and the nature of the remains I found, it was definitely a non duck predator…)

Attachments

• A5B6C978-7E05-45BC-ADEB-8118946F77E7.jpeg
    A5B6C978-7E05-45BC-ADEB-8118946F77E7.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It's the fourth item in your list that you show; Hot Dip Galv. Square Wire.

I secured mine to the run with HD galvanized poultry staples.
Others use screws with large fender washers.
Others still staple it up with pneumatic staples then screw a board securely over the edges of the clothe to pin it between the framing and the board.
post cap.jpg
However you secure it, make it as tight and flat as you can.
Barb with Fabio and chicks.jpg

This is the predator apron.
predator apron.jpg

You can't see the landscape staples pinning down the outer edges. They look like this:
1660390957245.png

Sorry about your drake. Yes, it always seems we lose our favorites.

Here are some of my photos. I hope they're helpful.

This coop has hardware cloth:
0722211208_hdr-jpg.3012623

0722211146-jpg.3012621

This coop, a holding facility for cull cockerels, has chicken wire:

0618220638-jpg.3163928

In the US chicken wire comes in 1" and 2" sizes. I've got 1".

@aart's tractor article has good photos of a skirt: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...able-anti-digger-apron.1120428/#post-17269345

This is mine:

0827211219a-jpg.3012652

This coop had chicken wire, which I covered with hardware cloth usuing fender washers.

0515211639-jpg.2684649

Back
Top Bottom