Harriet Went Swimming at 3A.M.

kaylakukla

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
Mom said last night she heard something at 3A.M. so she got out of bed to check on the littles. Emerson (our rooster) was standing as close to the sliding glass door as possible, crowing (not normal for him) into the glass. She turned on the lights, counted the chickens and noticed that Harriet was missing; she then grabbed a flashlight and began the search. Gretta, their dog followed mom outside. After an hour of looking, unsuccessful, she came inside, leaving the lights on. She called Gretta but she wasn't coming back inside; instead, standing at the edge of the pool. That's when mom heard wings flapping and splashing. She grabbed the flashlight once again and ran to the pool. Harriet was frantic and floating! She scooped her up, grabbed a blanket and snuggled her, then blow dried her for about an hour, giving her a chance to regulate her temperature. After that ordeal, Harriet was taken back outside in her coop with her brother and sisters. As of now, she's loving the California sun this morning, her new blowout and meal worms.

It's amazing to see animals bridging the gap between communication amongst humans and animals. We're so thankful for our girl!

From left to right; Harriet, Lenny, and Gemma (not pictured; Emerson)

Attachments

• IMG_5838.JPEG
    IMG_5838.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I'd be concerned that something spooked her causing her to fly into the pool. Can you close up the coop in the evening in case a predator is visiting?
We are concerned and wonder if she flew or something dragged her and dropped her. The little ones go into their coop in the evenings but this was a night that doesn't happen too often (forgetting to secure their coop door). We ended up ordering an auto door closure as a form of back up.

Mom said last night she heard something at 3A.M. so she got out of bed to check on the littles. Emerson (our rooster) was standing as close to the sliding glass door as possible, crowing (not normal for him) into the glass. She turned on the lights, counted the chickens and noticed that Harriet was missing; she then grabbed a flashlight and began the search. Gretta, their dog followed mom outside. After an hour of looking, unsuccessful, she came inside, leaving the lights on. She called Gretta but she wasn't coming back inside; instead, standing at the edge of the pool. That's when mom heard wings flapping and splashing. She grabbed the flashlight once again and ran to the pool. Harriet was frantic and floating! She scooped her up, grabbed a blanket and snuggled her, then blow dried her for about an hour, giving her a chance to regulate her temperature. After that ordeal, Harriet was taken back outside in her coop with her brother and sisters. As of now, she's loving the California sun this morning, her new blowout and meal worms.

It's amazing to see animals bridging the gap between communication amongst humans and animals. We're so thankful for our girl!

From left to right; Harriet, Lenny, and Gemma (not pictured; Emerson)
I have had many chickens fall into our pool. I lost 1 to hypothermia and nearly a second one. For the second one it was 90°F outside and the water was 80°+ and I still almost lost him. While they float their body temperature drops quickly. I'm so glad your mom found her and Emerson was crowing to tell you all.

Here is my Daisy, the greatest hen ever, taking a swim on a warm day.

20170731_122537.jpg

I have had many chickens fall into our pool. I lost 1 to hypothermia and nearly a second one. For the second one it was 90°F outside and the water was 80°+ and I still almost lost him. While they float their body temperature drops quickly. I'm so glad your mom found her and Emerson was crowing to tell you all.

Here is my Daisy, the greatest hen ever, taking a swim on a warm day.

View attachment 3017493
Thanks for sharing; that’s adorable! What a little cutie she is!

Back
Top Bottom