Egg inside partial egg - tail down, lethargy - looking for some advice please

Just wanted to update for anyone following along:

Did amoxicillin for 10 days. Last dose was the night of the 18th. I lost one of my Easter Eggers on the evening of the 19th. Go figure, I was just talking about that a few days prior. Not even 2 years yet. Been mourning her and now Peaches is having a relapse this morning. I let them out of the coop and she was fine, but she's getting progressively less responsive. Had a bit of energy and pecked around a bit, but won't eat or drink.

IMG_20240422_081524703.jpg IMG_20240422_081252659.jpg

Brought her inside. She passed another lash egg. It's very soft and rubbery. Not very big either.

IMG_20240422_095608037.jpg

I gave her a calcium tablet hoping it might help a bit. But it's been a couple hours. I don't have much to lose so I'm going to throw some more amoxicillin at her. If it makes her feel better, that's what matters. If not, I'm going to have to consider my options on culling her. If she bounces back from the amoxicillin, I'll get some lotus leaf extract and maybe another antibiotic that might help more.

I am very sorry for your loss! :hugs

As it seems, Peaches is suffering from a severe infection of the reproductive tract where the treatment with amoxicillin has brought some relief but was not really able to beat the infection.

It might be time to change the antibiotic.

I’m sorry that she is not doing well. Unfortunately when lash eggs appear from salpingitis, antibiotics seldom will help fight the infection. You can try more if she is responding to them. Coelomitis (formerly egg yolk peritonitis) is very common in hens over 2 years old. It is important to do a home necropsy or get one by the state vet if you lose her to get a look inside her belly, if you lose her. Take pictures if you do. Here are some very graphic pictures of salpingitis and a necropsy in this link:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/08/27/case-study-salpingitis-2/

@LaFleche Thank you so much. Zelda was my Golden Girl, one of the first 6 chickens I've ever had. Head hen, had decently sized spurs too! And a big floppy comb that my mom always commented on her looking like she was wearing a bonnet, haha.

@Eggcessive I appreciate the extra info! Peaches is 11 months old, so I believe something genetic is at play. Definitely will need to get my mental strength up to do a necropsy whenever she passes away. I could send her off to the state, but I get super sentimental. So it seems it'd be better for me to learn how to do it myself.

I haven't noticed any abdomenal swelling. Like all of my chickens, she's got that little fat pack between her legs closer to her vent. It's soft yet firm. I've been checking it about once a week to see if it's getting bigger or not. Doesn't seem like it but I understand it could be very gradual. I'll keep in mind that it needs to be checked if I do the necropsy.

I definitely don't want to lose anyone else anytime soon, though Peaches has been a concern for a little while now so I wouldn't be too surprised at losing her. Still would be just as sad. Going to do everything I can for her, without jeopardizing her well-being. It's pointless if she's miserable. But her eyes are very clear and lively. She doesn't seem ready to go. Just feeling icky.

She cuddled up into my lap for a bit to rest. I've been getting some Nutridrench into her. Got her to taste a little peanut butter. I think it all gave her a bit of a boost.
IMG_20240422_110533783.jpg

I took her outside to get some sun and she walked around, did some scratching too. When I brought her in, she's finally eating some soupy feed! I haven't given any more antibiotics yet. Trying to see if she'll spring back on her own but if she's icky for too long, I'll give her some for relief.
IMG_20240422_115050870.jpg

Will keep this posted with what else I do for her and how she progresses.

Her tail is up a little better and she looks good out in the yard. With lash eggs and the problems that reproductive disorders cause, they may have good days and bad. Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom