fivelittlehens1

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2022
I have a close to 3 year old hen who has a history with soft eggs. On Sunday I noticed she had a dirty butt and some poop on her feathers around her vent so I gave her a bath. She was fine until yesterday morning when I found her on the roost bar in the coop in the late morning. I got her out and placed her in the run and she was standing weird with her tail down. Since then I have given her multiple epsom salt baths and yesterday I gave her a calcium tablet and today I gave her a dose of calcium gluconate. She pooped out some yolk yesterday but no eggshell yet. She is drinking little water and not eating her feed. Today I gave her some spinach and she ate it. This is the longest she has taken to pass an egg. She is able to walk and stand on her own. But very lethargic. And her face is very red. She has been pooping here and there but it has been mostly liquid some looked like egg white. I feel like I’m running out of time. Any advice will be much appreciated thank you.

her droppings have been small and they’re white liquid. I just checked her vent with a glove and Vaseline and could not feel anything.

Do you have any other forms of calcium? Gluconate isn't the best type in an emergency situation. Calcium citrate with D3 is what I suggest as it works the fastest. If gluconate is all you have give her two right now.

Since she likely passed some yolk, that means the egg probably ruptured inside of her. That leads to bacterial infection. What do you have on hand in the way of antibiotics? People prescriptions included.

Do you have any other forms of calcium? Gluconate isn't the best type in an emergency situation. Calcium citrate with D3 is what I suggest as it works the fastest. If gluconate is all you have give her two right now.

Since she likely passed some yolk, that means the egg probably ruptured inside of her. That leads to bacterial infection. What do you have on hand in the way of antibiotics? People prescriptions included.
I have calcium citrate tablets I gave her 1ml of gluconate a few hours would it be safe to give her the calcium citrate tablet as well. I have no antibiotics I’m trying to find a local avian vet.

There's so little calcium in gluconate, go ahead and give her a citrate tablet now.

Try to get an antibiotic. Amoxycilin is what I suggest. But if you can buy something from a vet, go with what they have. Mention it's for a reproductive infection.

Herbs with antibiotic properties are oil of oregano and echinacea. Some people use garlic in the water, but too much can be toxic to chickens.

IMG_1721.jpeg

This is some of her poop from last night

Back
Top Bottom