Has anyone else ever had this problem?

jennh

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
Lititz
I noticed that Wendy, my Welsummer, was having difficulty breathing. When I picked her up to examine her, I noticed her one nostril was clogged. I haven't been able to check the other side. What is this from, and how do I clean it? Do I try to dislodge it with a toothpick? Qtips are way too big.

Thanks for any suggestions!

She could have an upper respiratory illness going on right now. (Sort of like the chicken version of a stuffy or runny nose.....) They sometimes sneeze too. Does she show any other symptoms like open mouth breathing, or sneezing?

Last edited:
Maybe you could take a q-tip soaked in nice warm (hot-ish) water and dab it on the nostril hole. It would loosen up whatever is plugging it and maybe she'll sneeze it out. I know my chickens sneeze pretty good and I get chicken "snot" on my once in awhile.

Quote:
No, just having trouble breathing 'cause of her clogged nose.

Maybe she just sniffed something into her nostril and this caused irritation and it clogged......I wouldn't worry then, but do keep an eye on her.....

I checked her out last night. It's just the one side that's clogged. I did use a wet Qtip to try and soften it. It was getting kind of dark, I'm not sure if it looked like mud or blood. I think she just has some hardened dirt in there. She acts normal other than having trouble breathing, which I mostly observe at night.

Achickenwrangler#1 :

once, at work, a kid stuffed a bean up one nostril, and the doc held the other closed and had the mom blow in his mouth...worked like a charm.

LOL
lol.png
I can just see the OP blowing in the chicken's mouth!​

Yeah, the funny part is when what ever it is comes out!!!
But really, you don't want to poke it in further, then, man, it may never come out. But, I wonder how it would work, little tiny chicken beak, one nostril, clogged with something..no suction canister around
maybe you have a bulb syringe, or could get one at a hardware store

Back
Top Bottom