Has anyone ever trapped a fox?

Lelilamom

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
We have a small gray fox stalking our chickens. I have a few traps baited, but I'm wondering if it's too smart for a trap and I need to sit in my tree stand with a rifle to take care of it.

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of a fox using a trap?

I do a lot of trapping for nuisance animals and find that many times an animal that is causing trouble has some disease or injury causing the behavior. Yet another argument against the idea that there is no point removing a predator because another will take it's place. Hopefully the one that takes it's place will be healthy and rely more on natural food sources.

In many cases, inhumane would be letting an animal that's whole body is covered with scabs starve to death in the winter. They have always been sustainably harvested by indigenous peoples, that is something that they need to remain healthy as a viable population. Human predation is built into their survival model. Whether or not your chickens are safe, fox living in close proximity to humans is not a healthy or natural condition. There is a significant health risk to you as well as your pets. Rabies is serious, and not having foxes living in your back yard is a step towards risk management.

Check @RonP member page, his avatar is a fox he trapped that was after his chickens. Other than reading his account, try an advanced search maybe? Sorry for your loss.

There are lots of forums on trapping with a lot of available knowledge. More than you might find here. Grey fox are fairly easily trapped using basic methods, a 1 1/2 coilspring, boiled in walnut hulls solidly bedded and covered with sifted peat moss staked wit double 1/2 inch rebar 18 inches long in front of a tiny hole with a pea sized gob of bacon grease will work wonders. A red lensed light, a shotgun and a grey fox pup distress tape played at night will take them out,too.

Not 1 in 100 grey fox are born stupid enough to enter a bare cage trap as an adult. Dumpster fox in the city will enter a little better. It can be done with the proper cage, camouflaged with sticks and grass, and much attention to odor control. The proper cage is not the green one from TSC.

I wasn't relying on a have a heart trap, though I do have one out there. I have a kill trap baited and with raw turkey liver and camo'd.

Those can get ugly in the wrong situation. Not every fox will commit to that type of set-up, either. They would usually prefer not to feel hemmed in or forced to do something.

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm thinking I need to sit out at dusk. That's when I see it the most. Time to get my camo out.

Trapping or killing a predator is only a short term solution at best.

Another will soon replace the one disposed...there will be many loses on both sides.

Are you prepared to sustain losses?

Best to evaluate your situation and beef up your defenses.

Then sleep like a baby with both eyes closed knowing all is well
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom