Has anyone fed maggots for impacted crop

tofupup

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
A neighbor gave me a hen with a seriously impacted crop yesterday. Took her to the vet, they did a gram stain and gave me some antifungals and antibiotics.

I syringed water into her and gave her subQ fluids, but things are not getting better. Hen is extremely emaciated and weak, won't eat or drink on her own.

I found this link http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx that talks about feeding maggots to a hen with impacted crop (bottom third of the page).

I don't know how the maggots would even live inside a hen's crop since don't they need air? And also, now that I've syringed water into her crop, it's very liquidy, so wouldn't the maggots just drown before they started eating away the rotten crap?

Has anyone ever tried the maggot method? I know it sounds horrible, but this hen is so weak I doubt she would even survive crop surgery and I'm just grasping at straws here.

Of course it's a holiday weekend so the vet is closed now until Tuesday.

I have read that they can help with things like food and other gunk removal but not so much with bedding and grass etc. I have no experience with this though. Best of luck :)

Back
Top Bottom