Has anyone had any success with antibiotics for bumblefoot?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
Hey everyone. So, I dont often hear about antibiotics given to a chicken to treat bumblefoot. I saw a few threads here about it but none seemed to end in a resolution about whether it worked or not. I think I've seen one or two people in other threads say they tried it but it didn't work too well or something.

Anyone have any luck?

Generally antibiotics (oral) are not needed to treat Bumblefoot. It's an infection of the foot and most of the time once the scab and core/kernel (infection) is removed, the foot heals fine.

Are you having problems?

Depending on what's going on, soaking in Tricide Neo daily would be an appropriate treatment as well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/post-6526194
Well I have a hen with bumblefoot on both feet. This is the second time she's had it, so I've been doing what I did last time: remove the scab, soak in tricide-neo, bandage, repeat. It was going well but I went camping and didn't treat her for 4 days, which I figured would be fine. One of her feet looks good, the other when I unbandaged it it looked red and a little inflamed. But after letting it soak it looked more back to normal. Then the next time I did it it looked red and inflamed again then it subsided after soaking. I think it might just be a little irritated from the bandaging but I wanted to hear about antibiotics just in case. I can remove the scab by pulling it off but I reach my limit when it comes to cutting into an animal without anesthesia, so IF the infection has gone deeper I want to look at a less invasive way for dealing with it.

I am a vet tech and worked with a wildlife rehabber. We used preparation H on eagles/hawks who had bumblefoot. Along with oral antibiotics. Just passing that on.....

Well I have a hen with bumblefoot on both feet. This is the second time she's had it, so I've been doing what I did last time: remove the scab, soak in tricide-neo, bandage, repeat. It was going well but I went camping and didn't treat her for 4 days, which I figured would be fine. One of her feet looks good, the other when I unbandaged it it looked red and a little inflamed. But after letting it soak it looked more back to normal. Then the next time I did it it looked red and inflamed again then it subsided after soaking. I think it might just be a little irritated from the bandaging but I wanted to hear about antibiotics just in case. I can remove the scab by pulling it off but I reach my limit when it comes to cutting into an animal without anesthesia, so IF the infection has gone deeper I want to look at a less invasive way for dealing with it.
Photos?

Looks better, then you bandage it, looks worse....
Is bandaging too tight or getting wet?

Photos?

Looks better, then you bandage it, looks worse....
Is bandaging too tight or getting wet?
I only have a before picture:
20210919_201551.jpg

I'm sure I'm not wrapping it too tight. When I unwrap it it isn't wet or damp, though there is a good amount of dirt that's somehow getting under the vetwrap and under the taped down gauze. I don't remember that happening last time so I don't know what I'm doing different to allow for that. I'm trying to wrap her feet better, and I think I'll try using more tape for the gauze or something to seal the wound better.

My thinking is, the dirt is causing irritation since it was wrapped for 4 days straight and the dirt was just sitting in there. However, if the infection is actually getting worse, and bandaging better doesn't help, then I would see about giving her antibiotics if nothing else worked. When I first saw it I pulled off her scab and it did not seem to have gotten worse, so I am concerned that if it is infection that it's underneath healed tissue. If that makes sense. So that's why I'm asking about antibiotics, just to have a game plan after I find out which one is the problem.

I only have a before picture:

I'm sure I'm not wrapping it too tight. When I unwrap it it isn't wet or damp, though there is a good amount of dirt that's somehow getting under the vetwrap and under the taped down gauze. I don't remember that happening last time so I don't know what I'm doing different to allow for that. I'm trying to wrap her feet better, and I think I'll try using more tape for the gauze or something to seal the wound better.

My thinking is, the dirt is causing irritation since it was wrapped for 4 days straight and the dirt was just sitting in there. However, if the infection is actually getting worse, and bandaging better doesn't help, then I would see about giving her antibiotics if nothing else worked. When I first saw it I pulled off her scab and it did not seem to have gotten worse, so I am concerned that if it is infection that it's underneath healed tissue. If that makes sense. So that's why I'm asking about antibiotics, just to have a game plan after I find out which one is the problem.
When you change the wrapping tomorrow, get some photos.

Back
Top Bottom