Has anyone here used a sweeter heater?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Just picked up a Sweeter Heater. The 11x30 model. It may be a little over kill for my current batch numbers (22) but I got a good deal on it and figured bigger wouldn't hurt. I set it up today in my outdoor brooder and have it warming up now to test it before the birds hatch in 3 days.
Has anyone used one of these bad boys to brood in an uninsulated coop? That seems to be its intended purpose but I just wanted to see if any of you had any experience with it. This is what I am talking about.
https://www.strombergschickens.com/...w1wwdTYrl9A_OOSLOfJKMI11mReKwewRoCjsQQAvD_BwE

Don't know what brand of brood heater I bought but bought them decades ago had thermostat and red bulbs to reduce feather plucking I guess clean water feed granti grit not many problems with that but did have to anti pik lotion once . However my heaters made heat lamps look like something from the stone age

I still put flat type 3 inch thick cement block in case power outage buy them some time before power comes back on or I could use generator
When traveling avoid smoking perfumes or colones .If your fowl could talk they tell ya the same as a passenger with cronic ashma fowl have very sensitive respitory tracts.Never heard of any dieing but

I still put flat type 3 inch thick cement block in case power outage buy them some time before power comes back on or I could use generator
Thank you for those random tidbits. May I suggest employing punctuation, capitalization, and grammar in your posts. Even just a little bit goes a long way.

I used one for four chicks in my garage last fall (beginning in early September). My advice is to leave it on continuously now to burn off the glue smell, it's pretty strong at first but should be okay in a few days when your eggs hatch. And then hang it at a slight incline (we hung with a small chain so it would be easy to adjust), so there are varying temperatures underneath and the chicks will choose where they are most comfortable.

I found it worked great. The biggest pain was the chicks liked to hide under it when spooked so if I needed to grab one to check a pasty butt or something they'd go under the far corner and it was tricky to extract them. I actually got the same size as you and then used it in the coop outdoors this past winter during some cold spells to keep the pullets comfortable once they went outside, was worried they were a bit young to be below freezing without it.

Also - my garage isn't insulated but it's attached to the house so might have been a bit more temperature stable than an outdoor brooder would be, but it did get fairly chilly in there and the chicks seemed comfortable.

I used one for four chicks in my garage last fall (beginning in early September). My advice is to leave it on continuously now to burn off the glue smell, it's pretty strong at first but should be okay in a few days when your eggs hatch. And then hang it at a slight incline (we hung with a small chain so it would be easy to adjust), so there are varying temperatures underneath and the chicks will choose where they are most comfortable.

I found it worked great. The biggest pain was the chicks liked to hide under it when spooked so if I needed to grab one to check a pasty butt or something they'd go under the far corner and it was tricky to extract them. I actually got the same size as you and then used it in the coop outdoors this past winter during some cold spells to keep the pullets comfortable once they went outside, was worried they were a bit young to be below freezing without it.

Also - my garage isn't insulated but it's attached to the house so might have been a bit more temperature stable than an outdoor brooder would be, but it did get fairly chilly in there and the chicks seemed comfortable.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! I am running it now and noticed the smell but hopefully it'll dissipate. Got it hung at a slight incline. Did you hatch your chicks or buy em?

I bought mine from mypetchicken.com, so they were a day old when they arrived.

The smell did go way for the most part, though if you put your nose right next to it, it was still there faintly. Didn't seem to bother the chicks at all and supposedly it isn't harmful but I felt better letting it air out for awhile before using. We also had one open side and an open top (covered with chicken wire, the other sides were wood) on our brooder so it had some air flow.

Back
Top Bottom