Has anyone moved across country with their flock? I need tips and advice!

LindsayDarling

Songster
May 26, 2023
Lake County California
Hi everyone! We are selling our home in Northern CA. N moving to Arkansas where my husband is from. We have 14 chickens. My plan is to divide them into 2 large dog kennels and put them in my mini van to drive with me. I'll have all the seats out. Any tips or advice? Anything I can give them to relax them? The trip is about 23 hours. So about a day and a half realistically. Driving straight to our new house/new coop.

This person made a coop out of their van and drove it over two hours away:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mini-van-mobile-coop.63982/

I do know of a person who moved from Maine to another State and took all of her chickens with her. I think she might have transported them in a trailer and drove as straight through as she could with them.

For travel, once moving, the chickens should all settle down and just sit. I wouldn't have anything in their kennels that could be spilled. If you're not able to do that with food or water, I would make sure that you stop at rest spots to get them some. Depending how crowded the kennels are and what you're using for bedding, you may want to bring a trash bag so you could clean some of their poo during the trip. (Chickens have a tendency to get really dirty during trips.) During the trip, try to keep the vehicle's temperature as close to the temperatures that they're used to, or 10° lower. You don't want them overheating (or getting too cold). A little colder isn't so bad as they'll be hotter from the stress.

I’m thinking you’ll need more than two dog kennels. Two large and one extra large should be fine. That’s pretty much the maximum you can fit in a minivan anyway. Three hens in each of the large crates and four hens in the extra large crate. Two could go in a good size cardboard box in the passenger seat. I’d put down a good layer of straw just in case anyone needs to lay an egg and a sturdy stick for ‘em to roost on. They seemed to move around a lot more than you’d expect. Mine were jumping on and off the perch throughout the sixteen hour trip and clucking (two laid an egg). I’d give them scratch to busy themselves and stop for water breaks every few hours. Have a safe trip! :frow

I would separate the roosters from the hens on such a long drive. I would cover the floor of the car with newspaper, as well as each coop. When you stop, pull out the bottoms, one at a time and replace the newspaper. Or rinse off if not using newspaper.

If you can train them to drink from a gerbil waterer, you can leave water in the crates. They will need less food than normal. They will be agitated at first, but will quickly calm down and be bored, using less energy.

I’m thinking you’ll need more than two dog kennels. Two large and one extra large should be fine. That’s pretty much the maximum you can fit in a minivan anyway. Three hens in each of the large crates and four hens in the extra large crate. Two could go in a good size cardboard box in the passenger seat. I’d put down a good layer of straw just in case anyone needs to lay an egg and a sturdy stick for ‘em to roost on. They seemed to move around a lot more than you’d expect. Mine were jumping on and off the perch throughout the sixteen hour trip and clucking (two laid an egg). I’d give them scratch to busy themselves and stop for water breaks every few hours. Have a safe trip! :frow
Thanks for the tips! Especially the roost bar, i hadnt thought of that. I have 2 extra large wire kennels. I might be able to fit a 3rd smaller one. I have 2 roosters also. I'm planning on keeping my silkie separate , she will prob be brooding anyway and she is bottom of the pecking order.

I would separate the roosters from the hens on such a long drive. I would cover the floor of the car with newspaper, as well as each coop. When you stop, pull out the bottoms, one at a time and replace the newspaper. Or rinse off if not using newspaper.

If you can train them to drink from a gerbil waterer, you can leave water in the crates. They will need less food than normal. They will be agitated at first, but will quickly calm down and be bored, using less energy.
Great thank you for these tips! I will start implementing those types of waterers now so they can get used to them. I thought of keeping one roo with each group, w their ladies🤔

You will need health certificates, at least, and possible blood testing, this is not like moving a dog or cat! Check with your state veterinary office, and with states you will be traveling through, and Arkansas. this is actually a big deal project, the actual trip isn't that difficult with adequate space, rest stops for water and food, and a safe trip.
Mary

Yes, @Folly's place is right. I moved from Wyoming to Georgia a couple years ago and had to have a vet examine them before moving, and had to have health testing when I got to Georgia.

4ADD3E11-F4A2-414F-A1CF-803BE7451E04.jpeg

I had 15 standard size chickens and used 4 large dog kennels in my van and I wouldn’t have crowded them more than that. I also had 2 half grown chicks and they had a cat carrier to themselves. I used kennel cups for food and water and they worked fine, not too much spilling.

If I had someone trustworthy to take them, it would have been much better to rehome them in Wyoming and get new chickens in Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom