Has anyone tried this incubator with built in candelling from ebay?

Willawong Hill

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Queensland, Australia
Hello,
I'm in Australia and after an incubator for a beginner for occasional backyard use, 12-24 egg capacity, auto turning. Would love a Brinsea but my budget doesn't stretch to that as I don't plan on incubating all that often. Saw this on ebay, has anyone tried anything similar and was it at all reliable?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Automat...4607983fa448725edb66|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Otherwise I have heard the Janoel 24 is good for beginners- can anyone confirm?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JANOEL-...m2864a8b028:g:ERgAAOSwmSNdNWHr&frcectupt=true

Otherwise any other suggestions of models that might suit what I want?

I got this one. It is working... ish... it has a few problems. So far the chickens are developing properly from what I can tell. The built in LED light for candling is ok. There is no way to test humidity built in so you have to add that. My biggest concern is the electrical panel is not sealed. So the display for the temperature gets full of water and I have to flick it to check the temp. Lol and when the alarm goes off i have to turn on the led to stop it. Not sure if that is from the water or not. But for the price it is not to bad. Also mine is in Celcius. I can do the temp conversion but some people seem to have issues. Also there are two drain holes in the bottom to prevent it being over filled with water. And you have to make sure the lid is properly attached, no little plastic tabs showing on the outside when the lid is on. You will know if the lid is not all the way on because the fan will be louder.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088HG1XBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WOvIFb5RGPVTG

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm in Australia and after an incubator for a beginner for occasional backyard use, 12-24 egg capacity, auto turning. Would love a Brinsea but my budget doesn't stretch to that as I don't plan on incubating all that often. Saw this on ebay, has anyone tried anything similar and was it at all reliable?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Automat...4607983fa448725edb66|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Otherwise I have heard the Janoel 24 is good for beginners- can anyone confirm?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JANOEL-...m2864a8b028:g:ERgAAOSwmSNdNWHr&frcectupt=true

Otherwise any other suggestions of models that might suit what I want?

I am in Victoria and have been very happy with the Janoel 12. Relatively quiet and 6 hatched from 6 on first attempt. If you buy the Janoel just make sure you check the temperature. Mine was running cold by about 1 degree and had to be calibrated before use. I also added a hygrometer as the instructions on adding water are not great. I would also love a brinsea but the Janoel gave me beautiful chicks. Good luck.

I got this one. It is working... ish... it has a few problems. So far the chickens are developing properly from what I can tell. The built in LED light for candling is ok. There is no way to test humidity built in so you have to add that. My biggest concern is the electrical panel is not sealed. So the display for the temperature gets full of water and I have to flick it to check the temp. Lol and when the alarm goes off i have to turn on the led to stop it. Not sure if that is from the water or not. But for the price it is not to bad. Also mine is in Celcius. I can do the temp conversion but some people seem to have issues. Also there are two drain holes in the bottom to prevent it being over filled with water. And you have to make sure the lid is properly attached, no little plastic tabs showing on the outside when the lid is on. You will know if the lid is not all the way on because the fan will be louder.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088HG1XBD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WOvIFb5RGPVTG

Do you ever have a problem with humidity due to no vent holes? Do you fill the trays as it says in the manual?
I have this one and a Hova-Bator, this one the humidity is playing serious tricks on me. Im in ontario, canada and with the rain our outside humidity is at 93% currently !!!

Do you ever have a problem with humidity due to no vent holes? Do you fill the trays as it says in the manual?
I have this one and a Hova-Bator, this one the humidity is playing serious tricks on me. Im in ontario, canada and with the rain our outside humidity is at 93% currently !!!
I live in Colorado so humidity is always low here. Like 20% and stuff. So I fill the trays as directed. I have not had any trouble yet.

I have the JANOEL12, and it had some pros and cons to it. :)

Pros:
Not too expensive, good for beginners
Digital thermometer that allows you to re-adjust the temperature if needed
Automatic Egg Turning
Adjustable Egg Turning tray to fit any egg size
Removable egg tray

Cons:
No built-in hygrometer, you have to use your own
You have to open the incubator to add water
Once you put water in, you can't take it back out, and there is no built in vent. To fix this, I just slip a folded piece of paper between the lid and base, to create a gap to let out extra humidity
When you open the incubator, you have to take off the entire lid, which means you let a lot of humidity and heat out!
No built-in egg candler (Which is fine for most people)

I don't love it, but there are worse incubators out there I'm sure. :)
We have had nice hatch rates with it, but a little struggle with shrink wrapping, since you let out so much humidity when you open it. It can be a little difficult to put the lid back on because you have to make sure it lines up with the egg turner, or it won't turn the eggs. Sometimes doing so can take a while, so a lot of humidity can be let out. Other than that, I like it! The sides are transparent, but It's still a little hard to see inside.

Hi There Neighbour! I'm over in NZ and I have a 32 egg incubator, similar to the one you linked, that I use for incubating and a different 32 egg version I use for hatching (both of same manufacturer as the one you linked though). I can say I have had decent success with these machines and would say that for the money paid the machines work well enough!.

Things I would note for machines from this manufacturer - check and calibrate your temperature before commencing a hatch. I found the internal thermometer was a little bit off on mine (half a degree) but that was easily adjusted with consultation to the manual!

I'll be honest.. I don't use the built in candling lights on any of those machines.. they work ok but often there is light leakage and the lights aren't THAT strong enough to penetrate darker shells.. so I invested in a small hand held LED torch style candler which works MUCH better. The advantage of the handheld candler is I don't have to over handle my eggs - simply pop the candler torch to the egg top while the egg stays in the cradle in the machine. You can candle 32 eggs in less than a minute which is efficient.

I no longer follow the manufacturers instructions for humidity on any of the machines from this manufacturer - following their instructions resulted in excessive humidity levels (likely because we have a high ambient humidity anyway) and I agree with a previous poster that it is hard, or impossible, to undo an overwatering situation. Trial and error now has me doing dry incubation runs until lockdown (at about 25-30%) then simply adding a damp sponge or two for lockdown - I don't fill the channels at all. Sponges are easier to rewet, add or remove.

Another note - depending on the model you look at - my suggestion is to avoid hatching in any model that has the fan and/or components/cabling UNDER the egg tray. Hatching results in a good deal of mess falling down below the egg tray and so you want a machine that is easy to access to clean.

The Janoel one you linked is probably the better one for hatching I would say - the componentry is all well above the eggs and the bottom tray is a breeze to clean.

The HDD one you linked is probably the better one for incubating - the egg cradles are great!

An example of the machine I use to incubate:
32 HDD Incubator.jpg

An example of the machine I use to hatch:
Hatching Incubator.jpg

An example of the hand held candler I use:
Candler.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom