Has my 7 week old been scared (hopefully just almost, not completely) to death?

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
My three 7 week olds have been having an absolute ball during the day in their coop/run area.
Today, a huge neighborhood cat that easily takes down rabbits, large birds, etc was able to break into their area today, though. We were so lucky that my son found the situation at the beginning with just a random check. None were visibly physically hurt, although all were terrified!!
The three stuffed themselves into a safe little crevice/wired in area before the cat could touch them (we think). My son immediately brought the girls back inside and to their brooder. Two are doing fine--eating, drinking, etc, but my beautiful, sweet RIR seems to be in really bad shape. She has such "vacant" eyes, compared to her usual very connected personality, and just doesn't move on her own. She was zoning out laying down for a while, she let me fully examine her without showing any discomfort physically, but even seemed to fall asleep standing up. Not eating or drinking like the others. She did all day before the incident.
Seems clearly in shock....is this ever just too much, and even a night of rest won't help? Is she on her way to chicken heaven?
Feeling sooooo bad!
Please advise!

It's unlikely the stress from this incident will kill your chick, but yes, stress does affect chickens physically sometimes. It can cause them to eat less or drink less and may stop layers from laying eggs for a period. It causes changes in behavior most often.

I would treat your chick for shock as you would treat a human victim of shock. Plenty of fluids and extra nutrition. I would dose her with Poultry Nuri-drench, a potent chicken revival therapy for sick and stressed birds.

And make certain this doesn't continue to stress them out by securing their quarters well against predators. Often a covered run will greatly reduce stress, by eliminating the constant need to watch the sky for danger.

Thank you so much for answering! I thought no one would, and I'm just so worried. I love my little Pip so, so much! You bet she's getting all of those goodies above, but refuses anything right now. Is it okay to just let her sleep through the night, or should I try to do something?
I am so fortunate that my boyfriend and son raced to the rescue of making a super, super more secure area. It was covered above before, but this cat still made it in. My guys (I helped) had tons of materials, tools and good experience/ideas to scour the area to do our best to secure it BIG time. It's like a completely new, professionally built area (my boyfriend raised chickens in the area we live when he was a child)
I know there is never a guarantee for the future, but I really could use some support, experiences and advice tonight! I don't even know how I can go to sleep wondering if she won't make it through the night
hit.gif

I'm afraid there's no change. At least she made it through the night. She is responsive when I pick her up for a tiny bit. I've semi-forced her to at least get a few sips of water by dipping her head in a bowl I'm holding. It has her regular antibiotics/electrolytes in it and she will swallow some. She won't eat a thing. I've brought her back outside, but right with me and she's acting the same (not freaking out, just kind of unresponsive with her eyes closed most of the time. She can stand on her own. It's now 24 hours since the incident and anyfood.
I did notice a centipede out here. Do you think she ate (or tried to) it and it hurt her?
I'm becoming more broken hearted. I know it's all part of chicken life, but she was my very first and the sweetest.
Please help!!

Oh thank the dear Lord!!!!! After forcing as much water into Pip over the last hour, she walked across (about 6 steps) to her two sisters and is eating out of the regular feeder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are all as thrilled and relieved to hear Pip is returning to her normal self. There's not any doubt she suffered a great deal of shock and stress when this incident occurred, and it's even possible she even had physical contact with the cat and barely escaped. This is what her extreme reaction tells me.

She is a lucky girl to have barely escaped with her life and all her feathers intact. And I know you'll always consider her your miracle chick for surviving this near tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom