Has this girl lost her stinkin' mind?

CluckyCluck

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
Oh my gosh. I could choke her. She is the SMALLEST adult chicken I have, and I mean tiny. She's got sort of a silky head and a partridge cochin body and coloring - feathered feet.

Anyway, she has been sitting and sitting on eggs for weeks. I keep taking them away, but was letting her sit on 1 for a while. I rehomed my rooster and so thought maybe one was still fertile. It wasn't. So now I have taken all the eggs each day...and she's FREAKING OUT! This is day 3.

Today she started attacking me, and my daughter (she's 20) flying up and hitting us with her feet. It's funny because she's a little tiny chicken, but it wouldn't be so funny if it were my 5 year old daughters face.

Now there is one baby chick out there who was hatched by a bantam cochin, now this other one is trying to steal that chick. That's why she was attacking us because we were near the baby chick (who is like 5 weeks old and too big to sleep under her wing). I saw her sleeping with her in the nest box the night before last and her "mom" which really isn't even her mom was roosting on the perch. She clucks and makes all these obnoxious noises to try to get the chick to go with her and not the mom.

If a put a teeny chick in there, I think she's so frantic about wanting one that she will take to it and be okay. Just don't know if it's the right thing to do??

She might have to get locked out of the coop when a hawk flies by if she keeps attacking me :(

Wow, she does sound like a handful... And it sounds like she really wants to be a momma, so I'd suggest let her sit on an egg or 3 for a few days to get her calmed down again and see if you can find some day-old chicks for her to raise. Wait until she's sleeping and slip them under her, removing the eggs at the same time. Then keep an eye on her in the morning to see how she's doing with them. Good luck, hey.

Back
Top Bottom