hasnt laid in weeks

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
anyone have any idea why my top hen hasn’t laid in literally 2 (maybe three) weeks? she was an almost daily layer up until then, and now nothing. i’ve looked everywhere in the coop and run to see if she has a secret nest somewhere, but nothing. she’s also healthy- her comb is nice and red, she eats and drinks fine, and she doesn’t act any different. could she just be taking a break? it’s so strange!

anyone have any idea why my top hen hasn’t laid in literally 2 (maybe three) weeks? she was an almost daily layer up until then, and now nothing. i’ve looked everywhere in the coop and run to see if she has a secret nest somewhere, but nothing. she’s also healthy- her comb is nice and red, she eats and drinks fine, and she doesn’t act any different. could she just be taking a break? it’s so strange!

Greetings kelzey,

Newfoundland is just starting its Summer season. Hopefully, the weather is nice and sunny, but not too hot. It's an oven here in Southern California!

There are many reasons why a hen will stop laying. At this particular time of year, it may be that your hen is simply molting. Check the pen for feathers. Here are some other reasons why a hen stops laying.

• Aging hens will usually start to slow down at 2 years of age. They don't stop cold, but they do start to lay less eggs each week.
  • Stress can cause a hen to stop laying eggs. Stress can come from sudden temperature changes. Stress can also come from a fright due to a predator. Changes in the environment can also cause some hens to suffer from stress.
  • Illness is another reason why a hen will stop laying. Sometimes they will eat and drink, and they seem fine. In that case you must look at their poop. Do they have loose or runny poop? What color are the urates (the white cap)? If it is yellow, the hen's liver is under stress from something. Intestinal parasites can also cause a hen to stop laying. Parasites rob the hen of nutrients. Cecal worm has been a big problem for my laying hens.
  • Reproductive disorders will stop a hen from laying. These are more serious in nature, and sometimes are beyond the ability of a keeper to treat. A vet is you best option for this. Disorders such as Egg Yolk Peritonitis, slow growing tumors of the reproductive system, and infections of the oviduct, are just some of the illnesses that can cause a hen to stop laying.
The longest I have had a hen stop laying and then resume laying, is 10 days. This usually happens during molting.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :frow

Greetings kelzey,

Newfoundland is just starting its Summer season. Hopefully, the weather is nice and sunny, but not too hot. It's an oven here in Southern California!

There are many reasons why a hen will stop laying. At this particular time of year, it may be that your hen is simply molting. Check the pen for feathers. Here are some other reasons why a hen stops laying.

• Aging hens will usually start to slow down at 2 years of age. They don't stop cold, but they do start to lay less eggs each week.
  • Stress can cause a hen to stop laying eggs. Stress can come from sudden temperature changes. Stress can also come from a fright due to a predator. Changes in the environment can also cause some hens to suffer from stress.
  • Illness is another reason why a hen will stop laying. Sometimes they will eat and drink, and they seem fine. In that case you must look at their poop. Do they have loose or runny poop? What color are the urates (the white cap)? If it is yellow, the hen's liver is under stress from something. Intestinal parasites can also cause a hen to stop laying. Parasites rob the hen of nutrients. Cecal worm has been a big problem for my laying hens.
  • Reproductive disorders will stop a hen from laying. These are more serious in nature, and sometimes are beyond the ability of a keeper to treat. A vet is you best option for this. Disorders such as Egg Yolk Peritonitis, slow growing tumors of the reproductive system, and infections of the oviduct, are just some of the illnesses that can cause a hen to stop laying.
The longest I have had a hen stop laying and then resume laying, is 10 days. This usually happens during molting.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :frow
thank you for your reply! we did have some really hot weather (for our area) lately, that may have something to do with it. she just seems completely fine! i’ve seen her poop and it looks normal, and she acts like her same crazy self.

although a couple weeks ago i did integrate my rooster into the flock (i only have three hens currently, so it’s pretty small) so could that possibly have something to do with it? i mean i’ve been joking around that she’s mad at me for moving him into the coop, but it’s a possibility i guess. could that cause her stress?i tried my best to slowly integrate him, he spent weeks in an area where they can see each other but not touch.

this is her
F7001C1C-41CB-47F3-9EEE-727E6A5F95A3.png

although a couple weeks ago i did integrate my rooster into the flock (i only have three hens currently, so it’s pretty small) so could that possibly have something to do with it? i mean i’ve been joking around that she’s mad at me for moving him into the coop, but it’s a possibility i guess. could that cause her stress?
With only three hens for the newly integrated rooster to mate with, she surely will be stressed.

With only three hens for the newly integrated rooster to mate with, she surely will be stressed
well. i’m pretty sure they don’t let him mate with them yet because every time i’ve seen him try, they chase him off.

also i’ve thought about over mating, i’m getting five chicks on the 7th of next month, so he will have more ladies once they get big enough to move into the main coop

That's fine looking rooster you have there!

Yes, new additions to the flock can cause stress. A rooster is definitely a cause of stress, especially if the girls are chasing him away. Clearly he is not yet accepted. Three hens to one rooster can work, but it depends on the temperament and maturity of the rooster. Some roosters are gentle and patient with the hens. If he is a young rooster you may need to put him out of the pen in the morning, and keep him out until the gals have finished their egg laying. And/or, they go out to forage, if you let them out to forage that is. If the weather has been abnormal for this time of year, that too is adding stress. Older hens will be more likely to stop laying due to stresses. But again, it would only be temporary.

You may want to scramble an egg and sprinkle some crushed calcium supplement on it. Then, feed it to the hen that is not laying. Make two eggs for all three hens to share. The calcium will help her if she is getting ready to go back into lay and low on calcium. You should have a fecal float test done for all 3 hens to eliminate the possibility of worms. I just found cecal worms in two of my hens that were laying shell-less eggs and eggs with brittle shells.

Play some soft soothing music for the hens during the day, and provide abundant food for them. Life should be good when you're making eggs! 😉

Back
Top Bottom