Hatch-a-long! ~ Anyone setting 8JAN-15JAN??

chick in the burbs who did the hatch go? How many chicks did you get?  I hope you have lots of pics:D

I will post pictures as soon as I can but DS decided last week that he was going to start getting up between 6 and 630, killing my best computer-post-pics time and my early day chick doctoring time.

I ended up with 5 chicks out of 22 eggs. Two had issues so I was running down to doctor them instead of snapping pics. One is almost completely normal now and the other is progressing very nicely. Both hatched out with exposed yoke sacs. :/

Life is Good!- love the fluffies!

I will post pictures as soon as I can but DS decided last week that he was going to start getting up between 6 and 630, killing my best computer-post-pics time and my early day chick doctoring time.

I ended up with 5 chicks out of 22 eggs. Two had issues so I was running down to doctor them instead of snapping pics. One is almost completely normal now and the other is progressing very nicely. Both hatched out with exposed yoke sacs.
hmm.png

Life is Good!- love the fluffies!
HI. I guess those zipped too soon...sometimes when a chick pips and does not zip for a day or 2, it's because it's absorbing the yolk sac...I wondered why they prematurely zipped? Looks like you got a silver/lavender colored one? Good luck and Congrats on the 5...did you have lots of disturbed air cells upon arrival of the eggs? Just wondering since 5/22 hatched...sometimes the odds are against you on shipped eggs...keep us posted!!
Cindy

Congrads on the fluffies chick-n-burbs! Glad you got some cuties out of the effort.

I determined that the last egg was not alive. At 24days, it should be doing *something* right? So I recandled. And instead of a live chick reacting to being rolled - I saw stuff n fluff swishing around when rolled. No, I couldn't bring myself to do an egg-topsy, the ground is frozen as well, so I hacked into the compost heap and gave the little chick a good burial. I do not think it was developing properly. At 24 days, there should NOT have been available space in the egg. So our total is 5 of 7 eggs set (1 infertile, 1 death in shell). Pretty great for backyard collecting in the snow!

We're thoroughly enjoying these little ones. I think this has been the best dead of winter activity there could be. Cabin fever is vanquished by the thoughts of spring, broody hens, buzzing bees and gardens to tend. Hope does spring out of the snow!

Everyone enjoy these little ones - they'll be teradactyls before we know it!

Ok, here they are! Everyone is flat terrified of the camera, of course, but it made the picture easy. The dark chick in the front is the one with the biggest yoke problem and there is another one that is fighting with me about developing pasty butt. I have been trying to keep that little one's tookas clean but... Oh, well, the majority of the mess stays below the vent so she has no issues going. She just looks horrible from behind.
roll.png

They are very cute chicks
love.gif
I see you got lots of yellow. I only ended up with 2 yellow 5 blacks and 1 black chipmunk. I hope the one with the yolk problem gets better for you
fl.gif

Ok, here they are! Everyone is flat terrified of the camera, of course, but it made the picture easy. The dark chick in the front is the one with the biggest yoke problem and there is another one that is fighting with me about developing pasty butt. I have been trying to keep that little one's tookas clean but... Oh, well, the majority of the mess stays below the vent so she has no issues going. She just looks horrible from behind.
roll.png
HI! Congrats...cuties...I see you have a few possible purebred wheaten Ameraucanas and some OE's/EE's..I am due to post some pics of the 4- 4 week olds I kept out of the 14 hatched. they are outside in the brooder now with a heat lamp at one end. it only gets to around 45-48 at night for a brief period here in AZ right now...days are 70-75...I believe I chose/guessed well and have 4 pullets. the lavender is a pullet and has feathered shanks...came from deep olive egg...so probably an F3 Olive Egger. I will try to post pics by weekend. Enjoy your chicks!!

Back
Top Bottom