Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Oh my gosh finally finished my chick brooder... I say finally but I've only been working on it for about 4hrs a day for 3 days... But here's what I came up with. I'm proud of the small construction. I still have to add contact paper to the floor so nothing leaks through onto the wood and to help with cleaning it but i'm just relieved to have all the sawing and nailing done for this one. Going to bring it inside tomorrow.

Oh and here are a few veins in my lightest egg, took the pic a couple days ago. Had to turn a light on for the pic so it's kinda hard to see.

Going to start the duck brooder tomorrow with the mesh bottom, wish me luck!

I candled all my eggs tonight . I lost another Rock Island egg Im down to seven but the rest look good. I made a video of candleing one of my bob white quail eggs
oh my gosh! That's awesome! Mine are so hard for me to see
sad.png
Great video!

I have a hen that lays a weird egg color too.
I won first place at the egg show with a mauve egg from one of my cuckoo Marans.

She lays a mauve egg every few days. It's the oddest thing. I had a LOT of people ask me at the show what laid it

It's a very beautiful color, and the eggs are always really big.

I have never seen purple though. It sounds really cool!
We are probably both talking about the same lavender tint to the shell but mine is on a bit darker egg which makes it look more purple.

So sad, I think my 3 yo cooked the chicks
sad.png
I checked the temp at one point tonight and it took a minute to confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, 117. She immediately took credit for it and burst into tears, followed by tears and yelling from the five yo. I don't think it was more than two hours, but so high
sad.png
(
Wait a few days & candle. If it was for such a short period of time they may be ok. Internal temps do not change nearly as fast as air temps in the bator & if you cooled it quickly they may still have a chance.

Soooooo...we're moving right along on this hatch. I still have 10 days to the expected hatch date. I'll probably candle this week-end. I had one egg that looked like a dud and if it still looks that way, I'll pitch it. I'm getting a brooder box ready so that part will be ready to go.......Next up in the incubator... Runner Ducks!!!

Soooooo...we're moving right along on this hatch. I still have 10 days to the expected hatch date. I'll probably candle this week-end. I had one egg that looked like a dud and if it still looks that way, I'll pitch it. I'm getting a brooder box ready so that part will be ready to go.......Next up in the incubator... Runner Ducks!!!
I love Runners!!! My little mixed color flock is all from show stock. They haven't given me any eggs since about October so I'm impatiently waiting to start hatching
roll.png
Same for the Calls. No eggs, just waiting.........

So I'm planning on my little runners spending their days picking bugs from my garden. Am I going to be disappointed?
Mine don't free range due to predators & neighbors too close but they were free ranging where I got them from & you could stand there & watch them pick bugs out of the weeds in their pasture.

Back
Top Bottom