Hatch-ALong - Setting first eggs 4/5, hatch day 4/26. Anyone want to join me?

SmittenChicken

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
I'm planning to set 41 eggs next week, in my new Farm Innovators 4200 (the air-circulated model.) Hopefully I'll have a bunch of EE eggs, plus an assortment of barnyard mutts. I am totally beside myself with excitement, and reading as much as I can. Which is good because pretty much everything in my initial plan was dead wrong. I am so glad to have these forums as a resource!
smile.png

Anyone else planning a hatch around the 26th?

I'm setting today/tomorrow. My first hatch. I'll be setting BLRW, B/B/S Orpingtons and Wh/Bwh ameraucanas. I'm sooo excited. Wishing everyone a great hatch.

Thanks for joining in, guys! This is going to be fun!
big_smile.png

I've been saving eggs from my flock (Speckled Sussex rooster + Black Star, Light Brahma and EE hens) and will also be getting an assortment from a local farm and some friends' flocks, which I'm picking up tomorrow. Those will be mostly EEs, plus some RIR, Ancona, Blue Andalusian, and Red Stars. I can't wait to see what we end up with!

The incubator is (hopefully) stabilizing behind me as I type this, and I'm watching blzzrdqueen's live hatch on Ustream (really cool if you're not watching it, another one is about to pop out -- here's the link: http://ustre.am/V4mw.) I'm going to try streaming video of my hatch too.

I'm thinking I'll set my eggs on the evening of the 4th, now that I've seen just how long it takes the little guys to hatch out once they pip...

I will be setting some eggs later this month.... Closer to the 15th, but have the same incubator as you. (Turkeys, frizzle and some super blues!)

i have a bunch hatching from a school program next week. (They are also using the same incubator.). They are barnyard mix.

I'll join. I'm planning on setting eggs around the 5th as well. I have some barnyard mutt eggs from a friend and also will be trying some shipped eggs - that haven't arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow). This will be my first attempt and with the horror stories that I've been reading about shipped eggs, I have low expectations of a good hatch rate. At least that way I won't be disappointed if they don't hatch.

I will be setting some eggs later this month.... Closer to the 15th, but have the same incubator as you. (Turkeys, frizzle and some super blues!)

i have a bunch hatching from a school program next week. (They are also using the same incubator.). They are barnyard mix.
Welcome! Can't wait to see what you hatch!

I'll join. I'm planning on setting eggs around the 5th as well. I have some barnyard mutt eggs from a friend and also will be trying some shipped eggs - that haven't arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow). This will be my first attempt and with the horror stories that I've been reading about shipped eggs, I have low expectations of a good hatch rate. At least that way I won't be disappointed if they don't hatch.
Woohoo! Thanks for joining in! What kind of shipped eggs did you order?
I used shipped eggs for my broody last year and she hatched 25%; not great but could have been much worse considering they went from sea level to high altitude and I saw the mail carrier drop the box... Hope you get a better hatch rate than I did, but it'll be really interesting to compare with your local eggs!

Back
Top Bottom