Hatch Days Help?

HarrisonCreek

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
We've got one chick hatched in the brooder!! So exciting! I expect one more to hatch today that was pipped yesterday. Several more pipped this morning. Total of 24 eggs.

I know I shouldn't open the incubator, however, I have 6 eggs that I slipped into the incubator a day and a half later than the rest, and they need to be turned 1-2x today before they lock down.

Questions:
- is it ok to open and tilt my younger eggs?
- since I expect several chicks to be wandering abound the incubator starting tomorrow, should I prop the younger eggs in egg cups to keep them positioned and still??

Thanks for any help,

Maya

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm not very good with incubator stuff.

I would think that you should take the newly hatched chicks and put them in the brooder so that they don't get overheated or bother the unhatched eggs.

You may want to ask here too
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs
Good luck with this hatch!
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely post on the link that Mountain Peeps has given you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch!
Since the other eggs are only a day or so behind, would just leave them be, going an extra day without turning shouldn't hurt them. You don't want to open the incubator while chicks are hatching if you can avoid it since that can cause shrink wrapped chicks etc.
Chicks can go 2-3 days without food so you can leave the first hatched chicks in the incubator a couple of days and they will be fine. The hatched chicks will kick around the unhatched eggs, it doesn't seem to bother them. Some people do like to take the hatched chicks out every day or so, especially if the incubator is getting crowded. Just do it quickly and try to get the humidity back up asap. Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a really nice article in the Learning Center https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with the hatch! Keep us posted on it and we love pics of babies!!!

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

The main issue with opening the incubator is that it will lower humidity and temperature. You could always open it in the shower just after taking a hot shower without the exhaust fan running...

I agree with LC chickens - you could even spray a little water inside the incubator after you remove the chicks. A day or 2 without turning won't make a difference. Please let us know how the hatch turns out.

Back
Top Bottom