Hatch eggs in an egg carton??????

i do mine all natural but ill show you in my hatcher i did a few modifications. first off i use a gqf still air incubator (my first) as my hatcher after 2 years of loyal service. its worked great in this capacity. but first and foremost i put the no slip mesh shelf liner. it helps the little ones with thier footing when they are young. i am anti wire floor. i have tried using the paper egg cartons but i prefer to let them go all natural. i too had a problem with the cartons weighing down into the water reserve so i got a little 1/4 cup measuring cup because of its thickness and placed it dead center under the wireand now i can let any size egg that will fit in there go in without worrying about it sitting in water. one thing about using the still air for a hatcher is i have to put a lot of water in top keep good humidity in it for hatching. hope this helps anybody who tries it.

4007_chickens_60.jpg

If you have the Little Giant 9200, or similiar size starfoam incubator or hatcher, I noticed that a quart jar lid (from Mayo,mustard, or whatever) jar, just fits in the bottom under the screen, along the edge, so I have 8 lids under the wire--4 along the top and 4 along the bottom. Just be sure that you don't cover the little air holes in the bottom tray of the bator. Then, besides the little indented water wells in the bottom, you will have these, and can fill them as needed to bring up the humidity. I add to them with a turkey baster, so can add water to more of them from the edge of the bator by just lifting the lid about 1/2 inch, instead of removing it. Has worked for me, and I have a problem keeping humidity up.
Good luck to all.

Quote:
So....if you had shipped BCM eggs would you hatch them on their side or in cartons...because I am on day 9 w/ BCM's and I hope for a decent hatch.

Back
Top Bottom