Hatch Rate Question

Gatekeeper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Louisiana
How do you figure your hatch rate percentage? Do you include the total number of eggs you set? Or do you figure your percentage rate after you have candled, discarded the bad ones and then see what hatches out of those?

Thanks ...

Doin The Math,
Gate

Last edited:
Only non fertile eggs do not affect your hatch rate. So if you have 12 eggs and 2 were not fertile, your hatch rate would be figured by what hatches from the 10 eggs left. Even a bloodring is considered fertile so be sure to consider them in your actual hatch rate.

I also count any that started developing at all, so only clears don't count. Bloodrings count against. You get a skewed representation if you only count those that make it 10 or 14 days.

If you did that you'd miss a LOT of information about what your birds are producing.

If I set 24 eggs but only count those that are still going at ten day, and 6 are quitters. And then I lose three at hatch. If only those three are counted I think my hatch rate is hugely different from it's actual rate.

And I'm not asking questions I should about my temps, the bator's humidity, whether I disinfected thoroughly, whether I've got one or more animals producing weak chicks or deformities that never see the light of day.

While we might set different criteria during one of our "competitions" for uniformity of comparison. If you're evaluating what you produce and hatch, then you go with real numbers. Not comfortable pretense.

Back
Top Bottom