Hatched and Unhatched please help!!

ilovechickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
West Central Wisconsin
I have 9 beautiful babies in the bator that hatched
jumpy.gif
I also have 31 more eggs in there, quite a few of them have pips, and one is zipped all the way, but may be shrink wrapped, when should I take the 9 out and leave the others in to finish hatching. I don't want to do anything that would compromise the rest of the hatch, the hatch date is today!!! I put them in the bator 21 days ago at 7PM. I would appreciate all the input. thanks!!
caf.gif

It is recommended to leave the incubator alone and closed until the hatch is complete. That could be day 22 or day 23. The new chicks are fine up to 3 days after hatching.
Opening the incubator will cause a change in humidity & temp - which is not good for the chicks still hatching or pipping.

Quote:
I have read that recommendation many times too. Not everyone follows though. I did not. Those chicks who hatched keep running around turning other eggs. So if it started zipping on the top, it then gets flipped that side down... I moved hatched (dried) chicks out both times. But I did not have 100% hatch. First time it was 25 out of 27 (one piped and died - got turned pip down by others and one did not even pip). This time it was still air incubator and eggs gathered in cold weather; 34 out of 39 hatched on their own. Two did not have progress and I tried to help - they died later, one I had in the corner of the bator because I cracked it half way through incubating- I should have given that egg more time and I did not
sad.png
and two more probably died earlier, not during hatch.

I know, it is the waiting, I will move the baby chicks by tonight or tomorrow morning that are hatched, right now it looks as if the little chicks are actually helping some of the other ones by pecking at the eggs, we will have to wait and see I guess.
caf.gif
but as long as there is progress made, I will leave them alone
pop.gif

Quote:
I have read that recommendation many times too. Not everyone follows though. I did not. Those chicks who hatched keep running around turning other eggs. So if it started zipping on the top, it then gets flipped that side down... I moved hatched (dried) chicks out both times. But I did not have 100% hatch. First time it was 25 out of 27 (one piped and died - got turned pip down by others and one did not even pip). This time it was still air incubator and eggs gathered in cold weather; 34 out of 39 hatched on their own. Two did not have progress and I tried to help - they died later, one I had in the corner of the bator because I cracked it half way through incubating- I should have given that egg more time and I did not
sad.png
and two more probably died earlier, not during hatch.

Couple of things that would help - if you use a turner, remove the racks and lay them flat on the wire.......so the eggs sort of stand in the racks ...... or use a cut down egg carton which offers better stability for holding the eggs up.

You still had good hatches!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom