Hatched chick has been weak for days!

chicknbutt

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2021
I recently discovered a single silkie bantam chick in my coop the other day. I brought her in and have had her under a heat lamp since. Day one she had the most energy I've seen since discovering her. She had been constantly chirping and wanted nothing but to be held by one of us. After the first night I woke up and found her lethargic and didn't think she'd survive. I held her in my shirt for an hour and to my suprise she shot right up and was full of energy again. I had never seen anything like it. The next few days she was fine (stumbling around when she would walk but that's expected of a fresh born chick). Day 4 she barely could open her eyes and wasn't eating or drinking much. Day 5 she had the same amount t of energy she did as day one and was eating and drinking more than I ever saw. Well today she's back to being weak again. Except today she has not opened her eyes once. She continued to chirp until she was held as she has this whole time. As the day went on I was able to get her to eat (moist mashed food) and drink. I even gave her some save a chick electrolyte packet and some raw egg yolk. However her energy remains low and the chirping has diminished to a few peeps and clicking sounds when I call out to her. What could this be? Anything I can do? I'm fairly confident she's not too hot or not too cold. I feel as if she was sick she would've passed days ago however she keeps pushing through. She's less than a week old. Is she just so young that her energy levels are low or am I doing something wrong. I have had history of raising chick before but never fresh hatched. Any week chicks I had gotten from the store before would've passed by now but this one just keeps holding on.

That is so strange. I was also thinking that you may want to try treating for cocidiosis, but I have never heard of what you are describing with a case like that.

Back
Top Bottom