Hatched with leg issue

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
How do I help this babies leg? One leg stays back so when it's laying down it's straight behind it. The other foot has curled toes but not sure if it's only like that when I'm looking, the way it has to move around, or I need to split them. I can't get the video to load to really show what it's doing.

You might start with this article, but it sounds like it might not be splay leg, but rather a broken or dislocated joint, which is not as easily treated.

If the chick doesn't improve quickly, you may need to cull.

You might start with this article, but it sounds like it might not be splay leg, but rather a broken or dislocated joint, which is not as easily treated.

If the chick doesn't improve quickly, you may need to cull.
I have it's hips and legs immobilized for now in hopes it'll help. This is how it looked in the incubator. The other leg is under it trying to walk and is a very strong leg as it keeps getting out of the tape I have on it to hold it in place. The toes on the bad leg wants to work and it can bend its knee but can get it under it. I'm hoping having it immobilized is standing position helps.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230710-071056.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230710-071056.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 11
I have it's hips and legs immobilized for now in hopes it'll help. This is how it looked in the incubator. The other leg is under it trying to walk and is a very strong leg as it keeps getting out of the tape I have on it to hold it in place. The toes on the bad leg wants to work and it can bend its knee but can get it under it. I'm hoping having it immobilized is standing position helps.
Good luck. That doesn't look good, though. Let us know how it responds to treatment.

Good luck. That doesn't look good, though. Let us know how it responds to treatment.
It's a fighter that's for sure and very mad about being immobilized. Here's it resting after fighting to get free.

Attachments

• 20230710_092300.jpg
    20230710_092300.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom