QOL considerations and culling

calicocows

Crowing
Mar 14, 2023
Virginia
I have an adult female quail who has always had some difficulty due to broken toes from before I got her. Lately I noticed that she actually walks on her whole leg instead of her feet. I don’t think the ankle joint even bends the way it should. She’s also having nostril issues but I’m more concerned with her feet. At what point do I cull her so she’s not suffering?

if you're near me and would like to take her and try to help her, i'm willing to rehome. i just want whats best for her.

DMV/mid atlantic region
Ah.. that's a bit far. Hopefully someone else can take her. I have 2 females- one with a toe issue and another with severe sinusitis, but with supplementary care they're still doing well and seem to be loving life. How old is yours?

Ah.. that's a bit far. Hopefully someone else can take her. I have 2 females- one with a toe issue and another with severe sinusitis, but with supplementary care they're still doing well and seem to be loving life. How old is yours?
hatched in may, so 9 ish months. she's never laid for me, either

As long as she's not suffering and you're willing to take care of her, there's no need to cull. If she's a pet, she should be okay, but if you don't have the time to spend giving her special care (making sure her feet are staying clean, her toenails stay trimmed, special housing), then it would be best to rehome or cull.
i clean her feet daily and she doesn't have any toenails. the main issue is that i can't get her to the vet :(

Back
Top Bottom