Should I cull? 3 year old female with feet problems

jaywalking

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2023
Hey guys,

I have 2 female quail that are 3.5 years old. I took care of them until I graduated and moved away, and now my parents care for them. The quail live outside in northeast Georgia (USA).

I came back home for spring break and one of them is limping because 1 foot has an infection and the other is missing toes.

My parents can't put in as much time as I was able to, so they can't treat any illnesses until I am home twice a year.

One quail is healthy and fine but the other can barely walk. I had to clean all the poop off of her by soaking her in water.

My questions are:
-Is her quality of life bad enough to cull? I know you guys aren't here to see her but I am also away from her most of the time and all I know right now is she can barely walk but is able to eat and drink. I also figure someone on here has more experience than I do and can help ❤️
-If I cull her, would I have to re-home or cull her friend since quail don't like to live alone? Every time I take her friend away to try to help her, the healthy one chirps and calls for her.

If I just had enough time back at home I could get her back in shape but I'm worried she's going to suffer more after I leave again. I won't be back until August, and even then I'll only be here for a week.

I am going to go to a vet if I need to get one/both culled because I do not feel comfortable culling my own pet. If anyone wants to take them in, I'd be more than happy to give them to you plus the leftover food and supplies we have here.

Thanks,
Jay

Hey guys,

I have 2 female quail that are 3.5 years old. I took care of them until I graduated and moved away, and now my parents care for them. The quail live outside in northeast Georgia (USA).

I came back home for spring break and one of them is limping because 1 foot has an infection and the other is missing toes.

My parents can't put in as much time as I was able to, so they can't treat any illnesses until I am home twice a year.

One quail is healthy and fine but the other can barely walk. I had to clean all the poop off of her by soaking her in water.

My questions are:
-Is her quality of life bad enough to cull? I know you guys aren't here to see her but I am also away from her most of the time and all I know right now is she can barely walk but is able to eat and drink. I also figure someone on here has more experience than I do and can help ❤️
-If I cull her, would I have to re-home or cull her friend since quail don't like to live alone? Every time I take her friend away to try to help her, the healthy one chirps and calls for her.

If I just had enough time back at home I could get her back in shape but I'm worried she's going to suffer more after I leave again. I won't be back until August, and even then I'll only be here for a week.

I am going to go to a vet if I need to get one/both culled because I do not feel comfortable culling my own pet. If anyone wants to take them in, I'd be more than happy to give them to you plus the leftover food and supplies we have here.

Thanks,
Jay
I would give her a chance. Clean up the foot and give her an antibiotic for about 5days. It should help clear up the infection. What sort of bedding are you using? I have quail with feet problems and they're still living their best lives despite the disability

If she’s fine aside from leg issues, I agree with you that you should find someone to take the pair. The other girl will still be with her flock mate and the leg issues can be addressed. I currently have an older Bobwhite hen (going on 5) with a limp from an injury. She’s fine otherwise. She’s with a few of her flock mates in a separate area in their building. I hope you can find someone to take them.

Three and a half is quite old for coturnix quail. As long as she's eating and drinking, I would give her a chance. If her foot doesn't seem like it's healing by the time you have to leave again, I would suggest seeing if you can rehome both of them, but you may have problems finding someone who is willing to take them in the twilight of their lives.

I appreciate everyone's advice! I leave on Friday so I might have to get my parents to help out with rehoming them.

They have pine shavings but I am not sure how often they get changed.

Do you guys have any advice on how to find someone to re-home them? I do not know anyone in my area or in the quails area that can take them in.

I appreciate everyone's advice! I leave on Friday so I might have to get my parents to help out with rehoming them.

Do you guys have any advice on how to find someone to re-home them? I do not know anyone in my area or in the quails area that can take them in.
I hope you don’t cull them. I wish you were close to Ohio, because I’d definitely take them. 🙁 Reaching out on social media is likely the quickest way to find them a new home.

I would try your local craigslist.

Do you have a local Facebook chicken group? I would check there first and see if you can find a new home for them.

Hey guys,

My questions are:

Thanks,
Jay
I hope you were able to get your quail in good health. I have a year old female that has been difficult with ongoing staph infection localized to her feet mostly due to her weight (she likes to eat and the pressure on her feet causes her to get bumblefoot). I actually keep her in the house so she's not with the other birds. I've been able to put amoxicillin powder in her water for a few weeks; which clears the issue up. Every now and then it comes back and I believe for this hen it's going to be an ongoing issue. That being said this lady lays a giant egg every day (I don't eat them when she's on her medication), she has a sweet tempermant so I don't see her going anywhere, she's such a good girl.

Back
Top Bottom