Hatchery Breeds, what is the difference of quality?

Angie8eggs

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section, but I have been seeing a lot of post saying stuff about hatchery birds shouldn't have this or that, just curious what it all means? Do you suggest a better place to order chickens other than a certain hatchery? Are the chickens not as "good" or healthty? I am knowledge hungry! ;) Thanks for any input! :)

Most people mean that hatcheries are mass breeding birds and not paying the painstaking attention to the breed standards, culling to improve their quality in appearance or tracking certain pairs as a good breeder would. They aren't bad, sick or unhealthy in most cases. Just might not have the right comb, slightly "off" color or body type to be a show bird. If you want to SHOW your bird or are interested in breeding them for sale, seeking out a breeder with a good stock is most recommended. If you're buying chicks just to keep them in your own personal flock and for eggs a hatchery is just fine.

Last edited:
Hatcheries, for the most part, produce very healthy chicks. No complaints. Their stock is also highly productive, in that their birds lay lots and lots of eggs, as the hatcheries make more profit if their birds are selected for productivity. I've lots of hatchery birds and like them alot. They are cheap to buy and readily available most of the year.

That said, once you have heritage, pure bred birds, they are something to behold and enjoy. They grow very, very slowly, feather in slowly, but can awesome instincts to forage. The personality difference and behavior difference is noticeable. The heritage, pure bred bird isn't just about showing either. They tend to go broody, where that trait is almost bred out completely in hatchery stock. Such birds can only be secured from specialized breeders and preservation minded keepers of the old line birds. Once you narrow down what you want, by way of a breed, you ask around here on BYC. Many preservation breeders of old line, heritage birds hatch very limited numbers of them, so it is best to plan far in advance and get on a list.

Last edited:
In my experience, hatcheries produce healthy chicks, but there are lots of variations when it comes to breed standards. Leg color and size are the biggest variances that I have noticed.

I have bought thirteen hatchery chickens and only one has died prematurely on me, and that was likely because she ate something bad that she found in my backyard.

I 1st bought hicks at local stores. Some were good and some pretty poor as to getting what you paid for....breeds mixed up. Then I bought from a breeder that I now believe to be just buying from somewhere and reselling! But, I did get what I asked for. The last I ordered from a hatchery. The only that weren't as healthy as I thought they should have been were from the man. One from the htchery appears to have a broken toe, the rest were fine! Some look great to me!
I have decided when I get to the point of wanting something else...I will buy eggs when I have a broody hen and let her hatch them for me.

I only have two breeds to compare, side by side, that is. There is no heritage equivalent, of course, for sex links, etc.

I have hatchery quality Barred Rocks and now have heritage, old line, old time Barred Rocks, thanks to KathyinMo. One of these days, I may take some photos, side by side, The difference in rate of growth is astounding. The hatchery birds, feather out in 4 weeks, pretty much, while the heritage, old line birds were still half naked at that point. The differences in instincts, body shape and general personality is equalling astounding. I'm quite sure the heritage birds won't lay like the egg factories my hatchery BR pullets are. That's OK.

Just saying "I got some chicks from a breeder" is also dubious because there are thousands of backyard "breeders" who are merely hatching from hatchery stock parentage.
The hatcheries provide a tremendous service. Their birds are generally healthy, vibrant, excellent layers, affordable and readily available. Do they even come close to what the breed ought to look like and behave like? Not so much. It is what it is.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Thanks soooo much everyone for your info!! If I could insert a clapping smiling happy face in here, I would! lol ;) I see what you mean to about the feathering thing as well, makes total sense! Again thank you so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom