Hatchery Chicks-Scissor Beak

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
So, I'm seeing lots of things saying scissor, or cross beak is pretty common in Easter Eggers....I totally wish I had known that before ordering 12 of them :( I noticed a few days after my 48 hours to notify the hatchery was up that I have two with cross beaks...one is more severe, and the other is hardly noticeable. I have experience with cross beak care for the more severe one, so I'm not worried about it per say. They seem to be thriving, eating and drinking very well despite. Has anyone else had them look fine on arrival and then it gets more noticeable over time? Is it true that it's a super common problem in EE? I know they are basically a mutt, so I'm not surprised, yet I'm wondering if it's something I should let the hatchery know about (not for refund or anything) but for their awareness?

Yes, it’s not uncommon for crossbeak to develop or show a few days or even week+.
Where did you get them? You should contact your hatchery for their policy.
I know My Pet Chickens will provide a refund and their policy is below. And they state that crossbeak is common in EE when you look at the EE chick description.
  • Cross beak: notify us within 14 days of receipt. Additional time may be allowed on Easter Egger breeds only.
Hope your babies continue to manage and thrive despite their crossbeaks.

Certain breeds/types of chickens are more prone to crossbeak and yes EEs are one of those. I've had 3 and 2 were mildly crossbeaked.

Mild cases don't become apparent until they are a few weeks old, where the misalignment becomes more noticeable as they grow. More severe cases can be spotted earlier. Since I buy from the feed store that's something I look for as they're picking out chicks for me.

Yes, it’s not uncommon for crossbeak to develop or show a few days or even week+.
Where did you get them? You should contact your hatchery for their policy.
I know My Pet Chickens will provide a refund and their policy is below. And they state that crossbeak is common in EE when you look at the EE chick description.
  • Cross beak: notify us within 14 days of receipt. Additional time may be allowed on Easter Egger breeds only.
Hope your babies continue to manage and thrive despite their crossbeaks.
Meyer. I didn't see anything about cross beak being common in EE in their description.

Back
Top Bottom