Hatchery chiks ...yes or no?

When I have ordered from a hatchery I have ordered from meyer hatchery. I have always gotten live chicks and they even gave me a refund on wyandottes that had single combs. If you are just looking for eggs, meat and pretty chickens for the back yard a hatchery would be good. If you are planning on breeding or showing a private breeder would be best because hatcheries don't always have the standard of the breed. Sometimes you luck out and get some very nice birds from their but most of the time it is not what it should look like.

I ordered my chicks from Strombergs.I do not show and my chickens are backyard pets.I like the quality of their chicks...

I've gotten two orders of chicks from Murray McMurray, and I haven't had too many problems. I've noticed that chicks I ordered from a hatchery are less personable than chicks I've hatched out, or chickens I've bought
that were hatched and hand reared by someone.

I think it's probably the trauma of being in transit, but it's possible it's just the personalities of the individual
chicks too, and that I got batches of ones who weren't as connected to people.

Last edited:
Hatchery chicks are fine unless you want to breed and show them. The time in transit is most important though. Ask them what days of the week they ship, and how long it is likely to take for chicks to reach your area. When I ordered from McMurray 6 yrs ago, they were shipping on Saturdays, which means that chicks did not reach me Massachusetts until the following Tuesday, since postal service doesn't do much on Sundays. Some were dead, and some were very droopy. In the end, most survived and thrived, but I kind of think 3 days in transit amounts to animal cruelty. Ideal Poultry got them here in 2 days and chicks were healthier. My Pet Chicken got them here in 1 day, and these chicks were MUCH healthier on arrival -- All were alive and spunky, no droopy ones.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you want from the chicks. If you are looking to exhibit your birds in a show then the mail order hatcheries are not really what you want. The show bird market is very small and the hatcheries do not cater to it. For those sorts of birds you will want to find a show breeder.

For most anything else though the hatcheries can probably supply your needs. It's pretty much summer now across the whole country so consider the heat the chicks will experience when it comes to shipping. A hatchery located in the more northern part of the country may be better positioned to get chicks to you this time of year. In the winter then a hatchery in the southern part may be better. Spring and fall it doesn't much matter one way or the other.

I've ordered from McMurray, Privett, Ideal, and Townline over the years and can't say I really have any complaints with any of them. I really like McMurray's Pearl White Leghorns and Townline's ISA Brown red sex-links which are pretty much all that I order any more though in the past I kept most all of the more common DP breeds. Keep in mind that the Postal Service plays a major role in what sort of shape the chicks will reach you in and they are largely beyond the control of the hatcheries.

I just read that Meyer Hatchery takes care not to ship the day before a postal holiday (and they never ship chicks on a Saturday), so that would be the next best bet, in terms of minimizing days in transit, than My Pet Chicken, which sends them Express Mail. Don't know if McMurray still ships on Saturdays, but that's how they did it 6 yrs ago.

We are totally new to having chicks / chickens and just got our first batch a week ago from Ideal (after reading a bunch of people on here used them and had positive things to say) and so far our experience has been very good. All of our chicks made it safely and are doing very well. They added another which I'm guessing is a male and have no clue which one that is yet. lol

Last edited:
I have ordered from Ideal which is located in Texas. I live in Florida so I figured the closer the better. I have ordered from Townline Hatchery in Michigan in the summer months as I wanted Isa Browns and they are the only hatchery in the US that legally has the rights to the Isa Brown breed. There are other hatcheries that may sell Isa Browns but they either get them from Townline or are calling their Red Sex Links Isa Browns.I have had good results with both hatcheries. My brother who lives in Michigan, has gotten chicks from Murray McMurray in Iowa and had no problems with them. I think it is a good idea to get chicks from a hatchery that is closest to you. Less chance of problems unless you can only get a specific breed from a specific hatchery. I agree with Alan.

Keep in mind that the Postal Service plays a major role in what sort of shape the chicks will reach you in and they are largely beyond the control of the hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom