Hatching at high altitude

Pics
I find that my own eggs hatch fine. It is the shipped eggs that are driving me crazy! The altitude is a serious problem, then when I make stupid mistakes (like not making sure that the auto turner is turned on every day) it only makes things worse. Good news, I swear that I saw one of the eggs moving this morning. Maybe an early bird?

Great news both Pozees and bumpercarr!

I love to hear hatching success stories! Whether for shipped or local eggs. I have to say that the little Silkie we have now is the sweetest of the bunch; all bumbling and round. I will definitely add more to our flock.

Hopefully Saturday will prove that I have mad incubating skills! After that I have 1 last hatch day this summer. Just 6 days after this next hatch. I will start up again once school is going. This high altitude hatching is more stressful than just moving here from sea level!

At least I can get the eggs to lock down; now lock down is what I need to figure out.

Great news both Pozees and bumpercarr!

I love to hear hatching success stories! Whether for shipped or local eggs. I have to say that the little Silkie we have now is the sweetest of the bunch; all bumbling and round. I will definitely add more to our flock.

Hopefully Saturday will prove that I have mad incubating skills! After that I have 1 last hatch day this summer. Just 6 days after this next hatch. I will start up again once school is going. This high altitude hatching is more stressful than just moving here from sea level!

At least I can get the eggs to lock down; now lock down is what I need to figure out.

I find that I can get the majority of eggs to about day 15. Then I start losing a couple a day until only a few hatch at day 21. I'm done trying for this year but next year I may try again.

I find that I can get the majority of eggs to about day 15. Then I start losing a couple a day until only a few hatch at day 21. I'm done trying for this year but next year I may try again. 

I still have 23 of 30 and am on Day 19. I candled them yesterday, only had 1 to remove. And of the first 6 to come out 3 were clears, 2 stopped around Day 4 - 6, 1 was around Day 11. So, this might be it... I had soda lime in the whole time, and kept the humidity higher. Can't wait till Saturday / Sunday!

Well, not good news from this front. Hatch day should have been last night. This morning, no peeps, no pips, nada. I'll keep them in there for a few more days to see if a miracle happens.
barnie.gif

Awww..... Man!

But I have 11 out and 5 more pipped, with some zipping! One that looks like it started and stopped :( . 6 to go! But several look sticky this time too.

This time they are popping out closer to the popcorn I remember!

So, that is with:

- Raised humidity all the way through
- Soda lime all the way through
- Raised temperature most all of the way through

That is great! I've now got a very, teeny pip and it is peeping. Fingers crossed! I am having the hardest time with these darks, this is the 4th batch I've set in the incubator this year. Only 4 have hatched, 2 LF had vulture hocks and 1 is a bantam (with vulture hock of course). When I put these guys in lockdown, all 6 of the remaining were viable. I'll try your method next time.....in the fall.

The run down...

30 eggs started the run

23 went into the hatcher

11 out and alive :yesss:
5 pipped :)
3 nothing yet :/
3 died pipping :(
1 out but died :(

Had to empty the hatcher of the fluffy ones, egg shells, and lost ones, because the fluffy ones were running around like their heads were ... well, you know.

:jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy

If I end up with 16 of 23, then this might be a wrap! :fl :fl

The run down...

30 eggs started the run

23 went into the hatcher

11 out and alive
yesss.gif

5 pipped
smile.png

3 nothing yet
hmm.png

3 died pipping
sad.png

1 out but died
sad.png

Had to empty the hatcher of the fluffy ones, egg shells, and lost ones, because the fluffy ones were running around like their heads were ... well, you know.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

If I end up with 16 of 23, then this might be a wrap!
fl.gif
fl.gif
You will have to write up how you did it! These are all shipped eggs, correct?

All shipped from Bend, Oregon, (just looked it up: EL3600; higher than I though; 10 eggs into bator, 9 into hatcher) and western New York (EL1400; 20 eggs into bator, 14 into hatcher).

Back
Top Bottom