hatching cayuga duck eggs advice!!

Aug 12, 2023
hello!! my friend is hatching cayuga ducklings and this is their first time doing so, its been about 29 days and only one of the three have hatched. i know it’s normal for that to occur but when candling them we saw that the air sac was on the bigger end and the embryo was on the smaller end. i’m a bit worried it could be shrink wrapped or malpositioned but i havent seen any photos of eggs like this so i’m hoping someone could give advice on what is happening here? we want to be prepared and in the know if something occurs and we need to help assist the hatch
IMG_6911.jpeg
IMG_6910.jpeg
IMG_6909.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpeg
    IMG_6913.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 2
hello!! my friend is hatching cayuga ducklings and this is their first time doing so, its been about 29 days and only one of the three have hatched. i know it’s normal for that to occur but when candling them we saw that the air sac was on the bigger end and the embryo was on the smaller end. i’m a bit worried it could be shrink wrapped or malpositioned but i havent seen any photos of eggs like this so i’m hoping someone could give advice on what is happening here? we want to be prepared and in the know if something occurs and we need to help assist the hatchView attachment 3685260View attachment 3685263View attachment 3685264
@New duck mommy 2021
@cheezenkwackers

hello!! my friend is hatching cayuga ducklings and this is their first time doing so, its been about 29 days and only one of the three have hatched. i know it’s normal for that to occur but when candling them we saw that the air sac was on the bigger end and the embryo was on the smaller end. i’m a bit worried it could be shrink wrapped or malpositioned but i havent seen any photos of eggs like this so i’m hoping someone could give advice on what is happening here? we want to be prepared and in the know if something occurs and we need to help assist the hatchView attachment 3685260View attachment 3685263View attachment 3685264
They look like the air sacs are saddled
Babies can hatch just fine from that

Please share pictures of your newborns when they arrive 💛 .
In my experience, cayuga's make strong ducklings and they more often than not, manage to hatch without assistance...

P.s. I'm jealous of the thought of those black fluff balls with huge feet and bill you probably will have in a few days ☺️

Please share pictures of your newborns when they arrive 💛 .
In my experience, cayuga's make strong ducklings and they more often than not, manage to hatch without assistance...

P.s. I'm jealous of the thought of those black fluff balls with huge feet and bill you probably will have in a few days ☺️
thank you for telling me about them being strong ducklings, i had no clue! its kinda hard to find information on raising cayugas and most articles just talk about pekins

also i will definitely attach photos when they hatch! the first ones already so sweet we cant wait for the rest to come
IMG_6906.jpeg
IMG_6894.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom