Hatching Common Eider Eggs

Well I have hatched out muscovy ducks and they seem to be pretty friendly in my opinion. When the hens go broody I try not to get in their way, but I would pull the eggs a few days before they hatch. That is a good point destinduck. Typically whenever I have hatching eggs I always have something broody whether it be a duck or a chicken.

Thank you very much waterdog for those great pictures of your eiders.
I looked on your Facebook page and you take some great pictures!
Have you eiders ever hatched out ducklings? If so, then how hard is it to raise them?

Ever get the eiders? Down here in Louisiana pinola is raising some I think that's crazy how they're able to do that it can easily get 95degreed plus humidity in the summer.theyre special air conditioned pens must work well

No I did not. The person's eiders did not end up laying. I do know of other people in NY that raise eider so I may have to visit their collections and at least take pictures of them.

Peter Curro in N.H. has 11 eiders for sale.He has 4-2011 males,5-2011 females and 1-2014 male.He's asking 6000.00 for all of them.I don't know if he will break them up or not.His ad is on www.softbills.com if you need his info.
In N.H.,Tony.

I did contact him to see why he was selling them. He has nice birds but the winter was just too harsh he said.

Ive never raised them personally but I know several people that have and still do You always have to remember that all wild duck eggs are extremely tough to hatch from day 1. I wouldnt even think of getting them unless you have an already sitting hen of any kind to slip them under her. Then also after at least 10 days under the sitting hen they can be finished in a incubator if you desire .Although I would still let the hen finish the job if I could. Also always always ask the breeder all you can about the birds you plan to get.
HELLO, I FOUND YOUR POST WHEN I LOOKED (AGAIN, AFTER A LENGTHY ABSENCE) FOR COMMON EIDER DUCKS FOR SALE. EITHER JUVENILE PAIR OR FERTILIZED EGGS. YOU WRITE YOU KNOW SEVERAL FOLKS WHO ACTUALLY DO THIS AND I WONDER IF YOU COULD SHARE THIS INFORMATION OR PASS MINE ON THIS FORUM, ALONG TO THEM SO I MIGHT BE ABLE TO CONTACT THEM REGARDING PURCHASING EITHER BIRDS OR EGSS. WE HAVE HAD MOSCOVIES FOR MANY YEARS, BLUE, BLUE PIED, WHITE AND BLACK AND WHITE PIED. THEY ARE WONDERFUL BIRDS AND NOT NASTY AS SOME HOBBY BREEDERS WRITE : )
AWARE THAT EIDERS ARE DIFFICULT TO RAISE, WE ARE SET UP WITH A LARGE AND DEEP POND FOR OUR MUSCOVIES, WHICH WOULD MAKE A SUITABLE (THOUGH NOT PERFECT) ENVIRONMENT FOR SOME EIDERS. IF OUR LUCK WITH THESE IS GOOD, THEN WE WILL TRY SOME TRUMPETER SWANS NEXT, THOUGH IT MAY MEAN DIGGING A NEW AND BIGGER POND.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE
BETTY

Back
Top Bottom