Hatching Eggs!!!: 40+ Breeds to choose from: Starting at $3/each

My eggs arrived 2 days after being sent. :) No cracks. Look beautiful. Just letting them sit a bit before putting them in as it looked like I had a couple floating air cells. I can't wait to set them & then candle. :) I'll update after first candling.
4 Brabanter eggs-3 look good, 1 clear (ordered on Ebay)
3 Swedish Flowers-2 blood rings(?) & 1 clear
3 GL Brahmas- 2 good, 1 questionable
4 Creme Legbar-2 good(?), 1 br(?), 1 clear

All still incubating, just in case. Maybe next candling will have better reads...especially on the blue eggs.

A quick follow-up... took out 4 eggs at random and candled them and all were developing nicely! will candle the rest over the weekend but so far so good.
Did my final candling this weekend and about 75% are developing! Not too shabby for eggs shipped across the country. If you account for the extra eggs Jeff sent me it's over 90%, with 2 of the 3 breeds exceeding 100% of the total I actually purchased. I can work with that.....

Ok I believe that sunday the chicks were due to hatch and did not so how can I check to see if they are good or bad? This is my first time so not sure why they are not hatching.
We have a brooder hen that has done everything right since we put the eggs under her. Feel bad because they did not hatch.

Ok I believe that sunday the chicks were due to hatch and did not so how can I check to see if they are good or bad? This is my first time so not sure why they are not hatching.
We have a brooder hen that has done everything right since we put the eggs under her. Feel bad because they did not hatch.
so sorry to hear that! sent you a PM.

Hey Papa Brooder. I wanted to ask you a quick question. The 4 babies (SFH) that I hatched from your eggs are now 4 1/2 almost 5 weeks old. At what age generally with this breed can you really tell the gender? I don't see noticeable differences in the chicks but when do they usually show up?

4 Brabanter eggs-3 look good, 1 clear (ordered on Ebay)
3 Swedish Flowers-2 blood rings(?) & 1 clear
3 GL Brahmas- 2 good, 1 questionable
4 Creme Legbar-2 good(?), 1 br(?), 1 clear

All still incubating, just in case. Maybe next candling will have better reads...especially on the blue eggs.

Almost to lock down. After 2nd candling I removed almost half of my shipped eggs. I was really looking forward to Swedish flowers, but all bad. Maybe scrambled? All had floating air cells. I even met the eggs sit for about 3 says b4 incubating.
Only 2 of the Creme legbar eggs look good. All 3 of the FL Brahmas look good. I also ordered some Brabanters from Ebay. Only 2 of 4.
This was my first experience with shipping eggs so I'm kinda disappointed, but I read hatch rates are lower that way. Oh well. Live & learn

Quote:
It's true, most of my shipped eggs hatch around 50%. There are just so many variables. I have hatched shipped eggs a few times at around 80-90%. I have had people hatch my eggs anywhere from 0-100%. It can be super frustrating to do everything right and still not get a good hatch. That is the gamble for sure with the POs handling of them. If you do order eggs from me in the future, remind me of the clears though. As best I can I try to replace clears when another order is placed. :)

Hey Papa Brooder. I wanted to ask you a quick question. The 4 babies (SFH) that I hatched from your eggs are now 4 1/2 almost 5 weeks old. At what age generally with this breed can you really tell the gender? I don't see noticeable differences in the chicks but when do they usually show up?

You should be able to tell within the next few weeks. when in doubt, post pics on the SFH thread and you will get lots of feedback. :)

Back
Top Bottom