Hatching eggs at different times same incubator

Lisa_123

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
So here's the thing..I have bantams and large fowl put in incubator at same time.bantams usually hatch at day 18 or 19, large fowl around 21 days. Lockdown is set for three days before hatch date for the bantams - is it ok to lockdown the large fowl at this stage?

Also I put three extra bantams into incubator 5 days after the rest were put in, what should I do in relation to turning these eggs when the rest of eggs are in lockdown - do I manually turn then but I don't want to open incubator as temp and humidity will drop and they are hatching which is very risky. Or are they okay to not turn at this stage, leave them all in lockdown - Any advise ? Thanks you 🙂

in the future i would recommend to separate hatch dates by 1 week, but whats done is done. Therefore i would advise delaying lockdown by 1-1.5 days. This will allow your others to be turned a little longer before going still. Then, get the hatchlings out asap to resume normal cycle. The large fowl should be ok with this, the 5day late bantams will likely see a reduced hatch rate, but not a total loss.

in the future i would recommend to separate hatch dates by 1 week, but whats done is done. Therefore i would advise delaying lockdown by 1-1.5 days. This will allow your others to be turned a little longer before going still. Then, get the hatchlings out asap to resume normal cycle. The large fowl should be ok with this, the 5day late bantams will likely see a reduced hatch rate, but not a total loss.
I have 12 bantams , 6 large fowl and further 3 bantams put in late , most are bantams but don't want to lose large fowl or any preferably..

Just lock it down when you lock down the bantams they will be fine. While not ideal I have done staggered hatches without issues with chicken and duck eggs in the same bator.
So just lockdown at day 16 even though the other three bantams have 5 days to go? Sound ok, turning more essential at the start

So just lockdown at day 16 even though the other three bantams have 5 days to go? Sound ok, turning more essential at the start
When I had a bit of a staggered hatch with some eggs added 3-4 days later I didn't up my humidity until later on day 19, for chickens. So I would wait to up the humidity until day 16 as late as you can unless you see an external pip before then maybe even day 17 Which would make the chicken eggs a couple days early but not horrible. May be a bit early for other bantams but again shouldnt be too bad

assuming theyre marked just turn them by hand .. what i wouldnt do is play with things excessively, keep the temp right and humidity nominal as usual, and what id do when the earlies start to hatch is straight to the brooder as you hear them banging around chirping when theyre out, so theyre not kicking the other eggs around .. but yeah, lockdown smockdown, its overhyped .. turn the rest by hand to due date, humidity takes care of itself when hatching starts, move them to the brooder straightaway wet, AND youll need a piece of hardware cloth etc to make a tiny pen in a warm spot to add fresh hatches after day1 so day or two old chicks dont pick at fresh wet chicks, damaging belly buttons can occur if you dont lol, serious ..

Back
Top Bottom