Hatching Eggs By The Moon Thread

Quote:
I would say to keep them in the incubator for now.. I have had broody hens leave the nest for hours and the eggs have still hatched fine.. since you don't know the internal temp of the eggs you really can't be sure if the embryos paused in development or died.. so I would give them a chance.. just remember this may delay your hatch for a few days

oh a happier note MY FIRST CHICK HAS HATCHED A DAY EARLY A BR WOOHOO
wee.gif
granted some of them have pipped holes 2 days early lol and im trying a dry hatch

Even thou i'm not 100% on age or hatch date of our chicks as I was "Suprised" with them. but once we discoverd the stray chick had baby's and i found her nest, there were 2 eggs still in the nest. A friend of mine told me to give them both a few days. now grant it the other chicks Proly hatched on friday the 8th. and I disoverd them on the 9th. as they were all fluffy and running around. the 2 eggs unhatched were not laye don for hours on end as mommy was running around under the porch with her baby's..and would go in the nest in the eve. so monday the 11th. I went to Discard the eggs when I noticed a pip in one. so i gave it a while and a few hours later I checke dit and the hole was the size of a quarter.. and a less then ahour after that he/she was hatched and chirping and floppign round the nest. and by the next day was running around with the rest.

so I'd give it time. if my one egg hatched after almost 2 days of mom not consantly sitting on them.. then I'm sure yours will be fine. as for the other egg.. there was no development
sad.png

heres two pics of my new hatch i have 14 hatched out so far and 3 died in the shells i have 15 eggs left to hatch out and about 10 of them have pipped holes

92874_100_0226.jpg

92874_100_0227.jpg
i love this close up of the white one with the brown stripe down his back he's sooo pretty! too bad hes a roo i have no use for him
smile.png

I hate it when are huddled like this and the chicks are on the bottom under them they get trampled on
sad.png

Of everyone here who hatch's with a incubator or a broody.. more then mabey 10 eggs what the heck do you do with all them chicks.. esp those of you who do 30+ at a time!!!

I've thought of in the spring when flea markets open up selling the chicks, selling the eggs. ect but I'd not even know what to charge for a chick,
and I'd only do it for feed / coop improvement money lol.

Quote:
we keep ours.. new pullets replace older laying hens.. young cockerels go to freezer camp unless they are exceptional birds.. in which case an older roo will go to freezer camp and his replacement inherits some of the girls

what she said ^_^

also my hatch is over i think i started out with 33 and tried my first dry hatch i lost 3 in the shells and 6 have not pipped holes but im gonna leave them in there until Thursday and then clean it out for my next lock which is next Mon and Tue and i have 24 baby chicks in the tub brooder ^_^ so i had 60% hatch this time and i had some start pipping 2 days early and then hatching a day early and then others hatching on time so this was a very good hatch but around the 3rd and 4th day is when they get sick and die off so Thursday when i go to bury the duds im going to put my new hatchings out in the brooder coop with the rest of the siblings and buffs

92874_100_0228.jpg
it dont look it but thats 24 babys

Last edited:
Quote:
we keep ours.. new pullets replace older laying hens.. young cockerels go to freezer camp unless they are exceptional birds.. in which case an older roo will go to freezer camp and his replacement inherits some of the girls

what he said ^_^

psst.. that should be "what She said"... lol..

Back
Top Bottom