Hatching eggs naturally

kmb221

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Shippensburg, PA
We have two hens laying on eggs. I went in to check them and of course they are pretty protective. I saw what looked like a smashed egg near the front of the laying box. I took a stick and was able to get it out. It was smashed with a dead poult in it, so we are close to hatching. We put a gate up to keep the other gobblers out. What do we need to do after hatching? Keep the hens and poults segregated from the rest? Should I put food specifically for the poults in with them? This is the first time we have had hens laying on eggs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The other birds should be no trouble to the poults.
The biggest problem is those little poults when hatched by mom run around like little vacuum cleaners.
They can wonder far from mom and zip through fences when mom can't and that is where the problem lies.
If they can't make it bad to mom and they get cold its game over for them.
So many things like to eat little poults.

If your tom is still interested in mating after the poults hatch, he can be a problem. He can get to close to the hen and step on the poults.Most of the time this is not a problem but I have had to separate toms that were too aggressive towards females after hatching.

Back
Top Bottom