Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone's opinion????  The rooster is a mess.  He has a bad beak and looks to be wry tail.  He's only breeding one hen or the other hen is infertile.  Either way, her eggs aren't fertile.  I've had them almost 6 months with not one chick to show for it.  Well, I did just hatch 4 but I have to put one down now.  they were 7 months old when I got them and laying.  I've gotten chicks from GFF as a replacement for the rooster but of all the chicks, I have one good juvie growing that I believe is a rooster.  It's only 12 weeks old.  Long way to go before breeding age.  I have 6 chicks from GFF but one has to be put down for a bad beak.  This is a constant issue with these guys.  So what would you do?  Would you sell the whole mess and cut your losses or keep trying? be honest now.
My opinion is...depends on what you want out of your farm. If it's a hobby you're trying to make pay and you want to keep the enjoyment that got you in it, then get rid of them. If your primary goal is financial, AND you can afford the time and money to work on them and try to breed out the bad traits, then you may be able to recoup losses down the road.

My place is for love first. I would not love dealing with them, so I'd ditch 'em.

Mini and crystal,

Midgets are awesome! Just ask mztre how much she's fallen for them! I've raised a lot of turkeys in my time and the only ones that compare in personality are the BBWs and they aren't near as sweet. And I love turkey whether its on the table or on my lap! Hubby wants to roast a turkey on the grill for Memorial Day since he's going to be home. He fills the cavity with onions, peppers, and bacon. Then he wraps some bacon across the chest. Or another way is with fresh lemons, but I like that better with chicken. Yum now I'm hungry!

My opinion is...depends on what you want out of your farm. If it's a hobby you're trying to make pay and you want to keep the enjoyment that got you in it, then get rid of them. If your primary goal is financial, AND you can afford the time and money to work on them and try to breed out the bad traits, then you may be able to recoup losses down the road.

My place is for love first. I would not love dealing with them, so I'd ditch 'em.
This is a hobby to me. As long as the girls pay for feed I'm happy. The bad thing is by the time the juvie rooster is grown, the hens will be molting.

What is everyone's opinion???? The rooster is a mess. He has a bad beak and looks to be wry tail. He's only breeding one hen or the other hen is infertile. Either way, her eggs aren't fertile. I've had them almost 6 months with not one chick to show for it. Well, I did just hatch 4 but I have to put one down now. they were 7 months old when I got them and laying. I've gotten chicks from GFF as a replacement for the rooster but of all the chicks, I have one good juvie growing that I believe is a rooster. It's only 12 weeks old. Long way to go before breeding age. I have 6 chicks from GFF but one has to be put down for a bad beak. This is a constant issue with these guys. So what would you do? Would you sell the whole mess and cut your losses or keep trying? be honest now.
I would not keep or breed a mean rooster unless the breed needed every sperm. I'm with mrsmooncat, but if you want something you can work with NOW, id cut your losses and move on. This reminds you I have to send you a PM about chicks, I think I waited too alte and we should go for fall. Weather went from too cold to too hot for chicks . Unless it is BOTH here. Weirdest weather I have ever seen in SJ.

I would not keep or breed a mean rooster unless the breed needed every sperm. I'm with mrsmooncat, but if you want something you can work with NOW, id cut your losses and move on. This reminds you I have to send you a PM about chicks, I think I waited too alte and we should go for fall. Weather went from too cold to too hot for chicks . Unless it is BOTH here. Weirdest weather I have ever seen in SJ.
I think fall would be better. It's a bit warm here now as it is.

Trust me, I've chased him all over that pen but it hasn't stopped him one bit. He comes after me and DH. We don't even have to be in the pen, he'll charge the fence at you.
My Buff Brahma Roo was that way. I took care of that problem real quick. He was plucked and served for supper that night. I will not have a mean rooster.

Trust me, I've chased him all over that pen but it hasn't stopped him one bit. He comes after me and DH. We don't even have to be in the pen, he'll charge the fence at you.
i would send him to the freezer and work on the other and hope his temper isn't as bad as that. I had one that would behave just fine, until you turned your back, and BAM there's a roo flogging you...he made it to the crock pot. I won't deal with a mean roo.

Trust me, I've chased him all over that pen but it hasn't stopped him one bit.  He comes after me and DH.  We don't even have to be in the pen, he'll charge the fence at you.

You need a horse whip. I can tag them in the hinny pretty good. They walk a little funny for a little bit, but never try it again. Our Lakenvelder, Smokey, used to flog my boots. One day he flogged them while on me. I don't think he mated the girls that day. He never bothered me after that, but hated my hubby. Then he picked a fight with the wrong roo.

Either that or the demon should make a nice dinner.

Mini and crystal,

Midgets are awesome! Just ask mztre how much she's fallen for them! I've raised a lot of turkeys in my time and the only ones that compare in personality are the BBWs and they aren't near as sweet. And I love turkey whether its on the table or on my lap! Hubby wants to roast a turkey on the grill for Memorial Day since he's going to be home. He fills the cavity with onions, peppers, and bacon. Then he wraps some bacon across the chest. Or another way is with fresh lemons, but I like that better with chicken. Yum now I'm hungry!

How big do midgets get?

You need a horse whip. I can tag them in the hinny pretty good. They walk a little funny for a little bit, but never try it again. Our Lakenvelder, Smokey, used to flog my boots. One day he flogged them while on me. I don't think he mated the girls that day. He never bothered me after that, but hated my hubby. Then he picked a fight with the wrong roo.

Either that or the demon should make a nice dinner.
The dogs will enjoy is butt for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom