Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cfarm...most of the eggs you sent are making it into lockdown!!!! I had to put the last 8-10? In a few days later due to space but Sunday is the day and I PRAY I didnt screw this up with all the problems Ive been having with incubating this year!!!

yesss.gif
and
fl.gif
best sign for hatching prayers!

I have Basque pipping!!
fl.gif
this hatch turns out better than the last two! Lots of them made it to lockdown, then died. I lowered humidity a bit this time....hope that's what the problem was.

I'm glad when my kids (27 and 30) visit, they always ask what needs doing. Neither is good at sitting around. And I have a niece who is now 17 who comes up and visits me every summer who works. She loves chickens, and will gladly shovel out chicken houses! (She doesn't work so well for my sister, but Sis is always trying to get her to do the indoor chores and the boys the outdoor chores! I'd rebel, too!)

Last edited:
I have been trying to look into the Virginia thing. They seem to only be concerned with Avian Influenza and Pullorium. They don't care about MG testing, or anything else for that matter. Day-old chicks and hatching eggs are still relatively easy. They just have to come from an NPIP flock that is AI tested and has a yearly permission form on file. Where they up the ante is with older birds. You have to test your flock within 14 days of shipping older birds into VA.

So that's the official scoop on that.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that older birds are just not worth taking the chance on anyway. Much more likely to introduce something you don't want into your flock. Most of these diseases even if they CAN get passed through the egg are only going to get passed if the bird is actively shedding the virus, which they don't do when they are in a remission state. So if you get eggs from a bird that looks and acts healthy you are about as safe as you can get...understanding that there are no guarantees ever. but you have to trust that the person who is giving you the eggs is being responsible and trying.

I got into this chicken thing having no idea that I was going to need to kill. I have never killed a living creature. I respect those that can but I am not ready, so giving the roosters and cockerels to someone who can is the only option I am capable of taking and I am thrilled that I have such a great place for them with someone who knows what he is doing but has no chickens himself.

Every day I go out and ask the birds to trust me and I know I am going to get laughed out of the club for this, but I'd feel like a betrayer if I did that and then turned on them. I even have trouble giving them to the guy who I know is going to do it. but I cant have a bunch of roosters running around. So my apologies for being weak. I am not a farmer at heart.

I have been trying to look into the Virginia thing.  They seem to only be concerned with Avian Influenza and Pullorium.  They don't care about MG testing, or anything else for that matter.  Day-old chicks and hatching eggs are still relatively easy. They just have to come from an NPIP flock that is AI tested and has a yearly permission form on file.  Where they up the ante is with older birds.  You have to test your flock within 14 days of shipping older birds into VA.

So that's the official scoop on that. 

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that older birds are just not worth taking the chance on anyway.  Much more likely to introduce something you don't want into your flock.  Most of these diseases even if they CAN get passed through the egg are only going to get passed if the bird is actively shedding the virus, which they don't do when they are in a remission state.  So if you get eggs from a bird that looks and acts healthy you are about as safe as you can get...understanding that there are no guarantees ever.  but you have to trust that the person who is giving you the eggs is being responsible and trying.

I got into this chicken thing having no idea that I was going to need to kill.  I have never killed a living creature. I respect those that can but I am not ready, so giving the roosters and cockerels to someone who can is the only option I am capable of taking and I am thrilled that I have such a great place for them with someone who knows what he is doing but has no chickens himself.

Every day I go out and ask the birds to trust me and I know I am going to get laughed out of the club for this, but I'd feel like a betrayer if I did that and then turned on them.  I even have trouble giving them to the guy who I know is going to do it.  but I cant have a bunch of roosters running around.  So my apologies for being weak.  I am not a farmer at heart.
Not weakness. Everyone balks at things that are alien to their nature. There are lots of people here that can't kill a bird. If the strain of MG I had was as mild as the one you have, I might have stuck to selling eating eggs and left it at that. But mine was a horror.

I have been trying to look into the Virginia thing. They seem to only be concerned with Avian Influenza and Pullorium. They don't care about MG testing, or anything else for that matter. Day-old chicks and hatching eggs are still relatively easy. They just have to come from an NPIP flock that is AI tested and has a yearly permission form on file. Where they up the ante is with older birds. You have to test your flock within 14 days of shipping older birds into VA.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that older birds are just not worth taking the chance on anyway. Much more likely to introduce something you don't want into your flock. Most of these diseases even if they CAN get passed through the egg are only going to get passed if the bird is actively shedding the virus, which they don't do when they are in a remission state. So if you get eggs from a bird that looks and acts healthy you are about as safe as you can get...understanding that there are no guarantees ever. but you have to trust that the person who is giving you the eggs is being responsible and trying.

I got into this chicken thing having no idea that I was going to need to kill. I have never killed a living creature. I respect those that can but I am not ready, so giving the roosters and cockerels to someone who can is the only option I am capable of taking and I am thrilled that I have such a great place for them with someone who knows what he is doing but has no chickens himself.

Every day I go out and ask the birds to trust me and I know I am going to get laughed out of the club for this, but I'd feel like a betrayer if I did that and then turned on them. I even have trouble giving them to the guy who I know is going to do it. but I cant have a bunch of roosters running around. So my apologies for being weak. I am not a farmer at heart.
So how exactly do you deal with a sick bird that needs to be put down? I didn't get into this thinking I would to kill birds but this past winter, I've put down numerous chicks as well as my top favorite hen. I could no longer see her suffer and knew I had to do it. I even put down a favorite rabbit crying my eyes out for both of them BUT I knew I had to do it. It's no one else's responsibility but mine and I refuse to watch an animal suffer. I don't like it but it's part of being a farmer.

Sadly VA doesnt draw a line between waterfowl and poultry for these tests and waterfowl just dont transmit the diseases that chickens do. Many times birds arent being moved as day olds, anything over 24 hours old has to have the test within 14 days to be in compliance. Thats crazy if you ask me. Glad I am done with VA for good because as I said i wont be taking the extra steps they want in the future. It also limits buyers on quality of birds they can get since day olds are a gamble for quality for breeding.

Now as far as the culling issue. Everyone who has chickens will eventually HAVE to put a bird down. Chick, juvenile, adult. At some point a broken leg, other injury or bad hatch (cross beak, bad leg ect) will need put down and all with poultry/waterfowl of anytype need to be prepared for that fact and part of raising them.

Morning all. I had to make a run to he grocery store because I was out of coffee. I think I need a cup of coffee to be able to make my coffee.

Have one last midget and three ducks to finish hatching and then I need to put the next batch into lockdown. More midgets of course and who knows what else.

Thanks to Brookhavens for reminding me Mon is a Holliday. I was planning to ship my last Midget swap out on Sat. So the eggs I collect from now through Sun should make some broodys happy. Better get some cages out and ready to go. If I end up getting plenty of poults and am still getting eggs I will offer them up again. Must share a little bit of turkey love! These guys were on the critical list. I don't know if its improved, but I'm doing my part. I sold eggs much cheaper than most. Especially with the genetic tracking I have, but my goal was to get the breeds of chickens my son wants, needs, longs for, and all out desires. We got a few that weren't on his list, but he is totally enamored of them anyway. His Mini Moose, bantam buttercups, being one. I think we still have a couple breeds to add too, but I feel you guys helped ALOT! I also know my son is extremely thankful for your sharing.

For future sharing I know Lily is gearing up to start laying and one of the Broodys decided if I won't let her have the other turkeys eggs she would lay her own. Silly turkey! I expect them to wind down soon though. Some of these girls started laying last fall, so they need a break.

Today is my mares foal date. We took her to the trainer on Sat. so I'll have to make a trip over to see her. The trainer just loves her and would like to train her for barrel racing. Bonnie's a quick girl I'll grant her that, but boys aren't big into barrel racing. She poured over Bonnie's registration on line and then asked if we would consider selling her or possibly breeding her. Never on the selling, but maybe when she's much older we will use her as a brood mare. Bonnie was a gift from an old classmate that deemed it her mission to torture me at every turn. Hind sight let her see her behavior and maturity caused her to want to make up for it. Since I'm not one to look a gift horse (literally) in the mouth, and I had long ago gotten over the bullying we are now friends. Albeit from a distance. So I should set up some time with the trainer to get pics to sent off to her.

I see a break in the clouds! Woo hoo! The sun will come out.....crappy rain! Think I'll go pester a broody.

Anything over 24 hours old is not a day old and will require testing within 14 days of shipping. So if someone hatches on a Saturday to ship on Monday they cant because VA wants the flock tested within 14 days of shipping. Each and everytime you want ship anything that is over 24 hours old you need your flock tested again. Its why so many private breeders wont mess with VA, and why we are done messing with VA ourselves thanks to that insane rule.

So how exactly do you deal with a sick bird that needs to be put down? I didn't get into this thinking I would to kill birds but this past winter, I've put down numerous chicks as well as my top favorite hen. I could no longer see her suffer and knew I had to do it. I even put down a favorite rabbit crying my eyes out for both of them BUT I knew I had to do it. It's no one else's responsibility but mine and I refuse to watch an animal suffer. I don't like it but it's part of being a farmer.
I know. I just haven't had to deal with it yet. The only sick chicks I have had (cocidia and slipped achilles tendon) died on their own with me franticly trying to save them the whole time. I know this sounds crazy but I have a friend who is a vet who I have thought I could employ for euthenasia if necessary. a syringe and sleep. if it were a bunny I would also spend the money and take him/her to the vet and have it euthanized. I keep telling myself in the Zombie apocolypse I could get past it so that I could feed my dogs (children). But the zombie apocolypse hasn't happenned yet so I haven't been forced to

Now you know I am a wimp. Maybe this MG thing was done to me so that I would realize that and not get in over my head. I am not a farmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom