Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been working in the gardens trying to get as much planted as possible and all the while the older juveniles were running around with the adults. The next younger are still in the coop as I haven't set them up a play area with shelter and its kind of chilly today. So they are whistling in the house and the ones outside are still whistling some, so when they sound panicked I whistle back to let them know I'm about. I was clear on the other side of the garden which is a good 300 feet from the coop. As I was planting a pepper plant a tiny little yellow fuzzball came running between my legs! One of the newly hatched poults had escaped from the pen I put momma in and was running around screaming. Here I thought it was the older ones. Poor frantic little baby! Did I mention its cold out. Cuddled right in and when I set him down her ran right up mommas butt. I wonder how long he was out there. I think it's the little devil that is always grabbing things and shaking them like a dog. It is cute when he grabs mommas caruncles though.

Thanks, flocks.  I figure since they are Favs and have lots of fluff I can easily give them a half dozen each then.  Great!  Any I can put under a hen, I don't have to try to incubate and brood.  I'm going to slip some chicks under my original broody this weekend to see if she will take them, if she does, look out world.  My big SFav cockerel better move out of her way.  LOL

Do the chick thing late in the evening. They are more apt to accept them then. I do the same thing when I'm adding new birds into the flock. I put them on a perch in the dark and when they wake up next to each other they bond easier.

I still have three broody turkeys to move. One was setting an egg yesterday, so I better get a move on. The layers will be thrilled to have free access to the nest boxes again. Of course there is one that wasn't being used and god forbid they lay an egg in there.

I'm wondering because someone bought chicken eggs from me and put them under a duck.  They told me recently that every last egg was BAD, stink bombs, exploding with just a tap on the shell.  I got to thinking this morning that maybe the duck, loving water as they do, and liquidy poo as they do, perhaps the duck contaminated the eggs?  After all, duck eggs are smooth and waxy feeling, and in my experience, harder to crack than chicken eggs.

I think you're right. I don't think I would give chicken to duck or goose. We call them yucky duckies and loosey goosies here. Have no issues going the other way though.

I've heard of chickens brooding duck eggs.  Is it ok to let a duck brood chicken eggs?
I wouldn't try it that way around. Duck eggs are waxy for a reason! Plus, didn't we just have a discussion about ducks not turning eggs like chickens...that some of them would be squished down into the mud!? But, regardless of turning, I think chicken eggs under a duck are a mess waiting to happen.

Edited to add....should have read the whole thread before responding!

Last edited:
This thread moves way to fast for me...

I have a few questions, because, well, I can't price chickens at proper prices because around here, a pretty roo goes for more than a laying hen. And if you get $10 for a laying hen/pullet, you are getting rich. So here goes.

What do you sell 1 day-2wk old straight run bantam Orp chicks?
How much are Tolbunt chicks going for (mine are about 6-8wk and I am sure I have 2 girls going by their crest)?
How much are LF choc Orps going for? Project Orps - F1 "Bantam" (these are my 7-8lb boys) x LF and 87% English?

Would anyone want to do a side trade of Choc bantam Orps for Polish Tolbunt eggs? Or Mille Fleur bantam Cochins? If I can't get more Tolbunts, I will have to sell them. Or find a cockerel for them.

Also, I have 10 developing Sweetgrass eggs in my incubator for those turkey fans out there. I also have 3 RBs and 1 BS fro Clarence in my brooder!

This thread moves way to fast for me...

I have a few questions, because, well, I can't price chickens at proper prices because around here, a pretty roo goes for more than a laying hen. And if you get $10 for a laying hen/pullet, you are getting rich. So here goes.

What do you sell 1 day-2wk old straight run bantam Orp chicks?
How much are Tolbunt chicks going for (mine are about 6-8wk and I am sure I have 2 girls going by their crest)?
How much are LF choc Orps going for? Project Orps - F1 "Bantam" (these are my 7-8lb boys) x LF and 87% English?

Would anyone want to do a side trade of Choc bantam Orps for Polish Tolbunt eggs? Or Mille Fleur bantam Cochins? If I can't get more Tolbunts, I will have to sell them. Or find a cockerel for them.

Also, I have 10 developing Sweetgrass eggs in my incubator for those turkey fans out there. I also have 3 RBs and 1 BS fro Clarence in my brooder!
We are trying to create a market around here with nice birds, we have everything from Australorps to Chocolate Orpington Banatams. We are getting $25-35 for laying hens depending on age and quality of course more for the odder/rarer stuff. These prices are not for everyone(some people gripe and want them for 12-15 each, I will do $15-20 if someone is buying several birds at one time or give them a rooster with 4 hens. We start day old up to 5 day old chicks at $4 each and get $15-35 for the cool stuff. I have people all around me selling cheaper but I have been to some of these places and would never buy a bird from them. We have people drive 15 minutes to buy birds and constantly people traveling 2-3 hours(this blows my bind). First sell of this year I had a couple and their daughter drive 3 and half hours to buy 4 Buff Orpingtons and paid $90 3 hens and one free roo. So market is in what you want to do. Sometimes high volume requires low price(not always) but we all know quality and healthy is expensive. All that being said if at the end of the season I have left overs that I need to clear out then we will drop the price.
My bantam chocolate ORPS are $30 each a little cheaper if someone wants several.
I don't do Tolbunts
nor Large Fowl Chocos

Just my 2 cents

This is one of my broodies: a blue copper marans. And that is one of her chicks. She had 2 hatch but one didn't make it. I had 2 more just like them in the house so I put those up under her with no issues. Those little darling chicks are white bresse/NN OE mixes. Are they not the cutest??!!!!

I'm wondering because someone bought chicken eggs from me and put them under a duck. They told me recently that every last egg was BAD, stink bombs, exploding with just a tap on the shell. I got to thinking this morning that maybe the duck, loving water as they do, and liquidy poo as they do, perhaps the duck contaminated the eggs? After all, duck eggs are smooth and waxy feeling, and in my experience, harder to crack than chicken eggs.
I wouldn't think that would work. When I incubated duck eggs, they needed higher humidity and daily misting with water. Looking at my ducks' nest, they usually bring in lots of mud and like things very messy
sickbyc.gif
Well, maybe they don't like it that way, but that's the way it ends up. Doesn't sound like a good environment for chicken eggs.

I have to disagree on the nasty broody duck nest. I'll take a pic when I get home of my call hens nest. It's clean hay and lined in feathers. Even my Pekin hens kept a clean nest last year when they went broody. Maybe I'm just lucky on that part.

I wouldn't think that would work. When I incubated duck eggs, they needed higher humidity and daily misting with water. Looking at my ducks' nest, they usually bring in lots of mud and like things very messy
sickbyc.gif
Well, maybe they don't like it that way, but that's the way it ends up. Doesn't sound like a good environment for chicken eggs.

I have yet to actually have ducks but yeah, I could see why that would be a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom