Hatching Eggs - Where to Buy and What to Look For.

Safado

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Riverton Utah
I'm having a hard time finding local eggs, so I think mail order is what I'll need to do.

I've looked on the buy/sell/trade threads here on BYC, and lots of people are looking without many selling. Ebay seems a little more expensive than I was thinking ($55 for 120 eggs, shipped).

Is there another site I should look for them on? Amazon sells them ($24 for 48 eggs, shipped), so maybe there is another site out there I am not thinking of.

Is it just the season? should I wait a few months?

I'm having a hard time finding local eggs, so I think mail order is what I'll need to do.

I've looked on the buy/sell/trade threads here on BYC, and lots of people are looking without many selling. Ebay seems a little more expensive than I was thinking ($55 for 120 eggs, shipped).

Is there another site I should look for them on? Amazon sells them ($24 for 48 eggs, shipped), so maybe there is another site out there I am not thinking of.

Is it just the season? should I wait a few months?
What are you looking for any breeds? or just mixes more details please

What are you looking for any breeds? or just mixes more details please
I'm leaning heavily towards coturnix, but am open to other breeds. I'm looking to keep some breeders, but my intention is both meat and eggs.

Edit: I have a hova-bator genesis, and just ordered the trays for quail eggs, so I am looking to get around 120 to do a full batch.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I want to spend the 0.75-1.00 per egg that he's charging. I guess you get what you pay for, but that seems pretty expensive for what I'm ultimately looking for as a frugal move.

I tried to order from that link mentioned above. The quality seems high and the owner knows his stuff.. I have not been able to place an order despite an email and 4 phone messages and 2 very brief phone calls with no follow up. Ugh .

I know that Robbie the owner at james marie farms is expanding his facility and been changing things up. He still has great birds as I have about 25 of his meat class pharoah and wild type cots. I know he is gettting real busy down in LA so that might be why he also hasnt got back to you steve. I think most people are trying to get their own flock numbers built up again and waiting for warmer temps. Id wait till march at least.

I was about to give up on quail and raise some chicken eggs. when I went onto KSL (a local classified ads page) to find a rooster, the first ad in the poultry section was for quail eggs (there hadn't been one for fertile eggs in about a month). I called him, and he is getting 8 dozen a week. I'll probably pick a week's worth up on Saturday. It's not the full 10 dozen, and it is still more than I expected, but 4 a dozen, that haven't gone through the mail is not too bad.

Just keep looking in your local newspaper's and chicken breeders mag's. It's all out there on the net. On my comp, I can pick up another site for selling eggs off anything that lays eggs. It's just you having the time.lol
Cheer's BOB................

Back
Top Bottom