Hatching geese

MishkaMash

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm completely new here and after some advice.

So I was recently given some goose eggs, pilgrims I believe, and of them two hatched. They had pipped when we got up yesterday morning and one had hatched before I got back from taking my child to daycare. The other however, made either no or slow progress; I had to take the first one out after after about 7hrs and made sure to do it quickly and put some papertowel soaked in warm water in to increase the humidity.

Fast forward 27hrs from pipping and the second had made a bigger hole but seemed to be struggling. After lots of careful research, I decided to help it and very, very, very, carefully (there wasn't any blood visible at any stage) peeled back tiny bits of its shell until its head and neck was out then it was able to kick itself the rest of the way. It was very difficult to do, so I'm thinking it got 'sticky' when I took the first one out.

It still has some shell and membrane stuck on its feathers at the back of its neck, but seems to be doing well - peeping, looking around, moving etc.

Do I need to do anything to remove it or will they come off by itself?

Also, I just have them on paper towel as the first kept eating the pine shavings, is that ok?

Last edited:
I reccomend wetting it and trying to gently pull it off. There was one time I had this happen to a chick, it was very large and parts of it I had to snip off, but in the end it was fins, just keep wetting it so it's soft and try to get it off

Hi everyone, I'm completely new here and after some advice.

So I was recently given some goose eggs, pilgrims I believe, and of them two hatched. They had pipped when we got up yesterday morning and one had hatched before I got back from taking my child to daycare. The other however, made either no or slow progress; I had to take the first one out after after about 7hrs and made sure to do it quickly and put some papertowel soaked in warm water in to increase the humidity.

Fast forward 27hrs from pipping and the second had made a bigger hole but seemed to be struggling. After lots of careful research, I decided to help it and very, very, very, carefully (there wasn't any blood visible at any stage) peeled back tiny bits of its shell until its head and neck was out then it was able to kick itself the rest of the way. It was very difficult to do, so I'm thinking it got 'sticky' when I took the first one out.

It still has some shell and membrane stuck on its feathers at the back of its neck, but seems to be doing well - peeping, looking around, moving etc.

Do I need to do anything to remove it or will they come off by itself?

Also, I just have them on paper towel as the first kept eating the pine shavings, is that ok?
Best to keep them on towels cloth or paper till they know what there feed is then they won't eat the shavings.Around a week.. You can use some warm water with the gosling wrapped in a towel so it doesn't chill once you get the shell off if it is wet use a hair dryer on very low setting and dry then directly back in to bator. or under heat lamp. and Welcome to BYC @MishkaMash

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys! I've got most of the chunkier stuff off, I'll give her a warm bath/soak this afternoon to try and get the rest off. She's a lot stronger now and its a nice warm day today. :)

Thanks so much guys! I've got most of the chunkier stuff off, I'll give her a warm bath/soak this afternoon to try and get the rest off. She's a lot stronger now and its a nice warm day today. :)
Good to hear and please post pics when you can.
smile.png

So he is 8 days old and she is 7 now. He is heap bigger than her tho; they're enjoying fresh cut grass atm. :)

Aww so adorable! I'm waiting for my own 2 goslings, they are taking too long! Curse my impatient-...ness?

Gosh they grow quick tho! They've nearly ourgrown my brooder! We've got a cage outdoors for them during the day, but we need to work something else out for nights!

I've got chicken eggs incubating now :)

Back
Top Bottom