Hatching in a Classroom

Mandy7612

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
Hi I am hatching chicks for the first time in my classroom. I had 2 eggs hatch on day 19 and one hatch on day 20. It is now day 22 and I have had no movement, peeps or pips since. Does this happen or does it seem like the rest will not hatch? I plan to keep them in the incubator until day 24/25 just to be sure.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

Hi I am hatching chicks for the first time in my classroom. I had 2 eggs hatch on day 19 and one hatch on day 20. It is now day 22 and I have had no movement, peeps or pips since. Does this happen or does it seem like the rest will not hatch? I plan to keep them in the incubator until day 24/25 just to be sure.
For different reasons eggs can hatch up to 2 days early (like some of yours) or they can be a day or two late. I've had several hatches where all the chicks hatched within 16 hours of the first one hatching. I've had hatches stretch out into three days after the first hatched. This is under a broody hen or in the incubator. Each hatch is unique.

Is it possible you could get more to hatch? Of course it is possible. But since tomorrow is Friday and you probably won't be there over the weekend I'd clean out the incubator tomorrow unless I saw an egg pipped or moving. Some sign of life. I would pick up each egg and listen carefully before I discarded it.

The chicks that hatched probably left some debris in there. I'd worry that bacteria could get inside and multiply so you could come back to the classroom Monday to a really stinky incubator.

Back
Top Bottom