Hatching in a Little Giant????????

Chickaholic

Songster
9 Years
Apr 21, 2010
Snohomish, Wa
The Little Giants are not very tall, Is it possible that they will hurt themselves on the heater bars? Anyone had any problems with this? I have 6 days til hatch day and lockdown is this Thursday.
pop.gif

I have only used Little Giant still air incubators and even when I hatched duck eggs they didn't touch the heater element.

I also am going on LOCKDOWN this Thursday. Good Luck to you and I hope you get lots of chickies hatch.
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif

Oh THANK YOU!!!! I was a little worried, this is my first hatch
fl.gif
I had one more question about it, when you go into lockdown do you fill the middle reservoir with water? or both of them? I have only been adding water little by little to keep it at 35% but at lockdown it needs to be at 50% right? Is there a general rule of thumb with the little giant?

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd post this in here. I have a still air LG that a friend gave us. I put a small fan in to help move the air. I'm having a hard time getting the temps to stay steady. Every time I try and dial it jumps back and forth between 98 and 102. Instead of messing with the knob would taking one of the vent plugs out be an easier way at getting the temp to drop by a degree or two?

I have found that room temp and humidity make a huge diff in the LG temps.
You can use the plugs to regulate but I take out the plug and put it over the hole upside down and partially cover the hole. it doesn't take much to change over time.
The best thing I use is a remote thermometer. LG is in a stable area and the receiver for the remote thermometer is next to our TV. We can glance at any time and see the temp/humidity and what the daily range was.
My theory is that hens are not totally consistent with temp-- between rearranging eggs; going poopy; outside temps; etc. I like mine to be 99-100 and if it's in range. I am happy.
And turning the dial is barely a touch!

Make sure that you only adjust it just a slight turn at a time. When I say slight, I mean slight it will makes a world of difference. I also have an LG and have no problems. I also make sure that the top lid is on good. The temp in mine right now is 100.6

Back
Top Bottom