Hatching in egg cartons

I'm at 24% on day 5. I plan to get it up towards 50% at day 14. Am I crazy? Its just that I worked so hard to keep up the humidity in my Little Giant the first time I hatched coturnix, and I had very poor results (although it may have had nothing to do with the hunidity). I'll have to say if it requires adding water twice a day via a syringe and plastic tubing, I think I'm going to tire of incubating real quick. Maybe I should buy an incubator with automatic humidity control, if such a thing exists.

I didn't intend it to be that low, I was late moving them to the hatcher and they were early
smile.png
25 out happy & healthy.

I think quails are tough little birds, a week ago I had 2 bobwhites hatch with a humidity level of jus50%, but I think its aesier for them and youll have better hatchability rate if you pump up the humidity above 65%.

I have Coturnix from JJMR794 hatching as we speak, and I am using a carton. It's working great, only hicup is that I cut the carton down to make zipping easier, but when I did that it exposed a hole between the eggs, and the 2nd chick out managed to get it's head stuck in the hole, with it's leg still suck in the egg
roll.png
I left it in hopes of it correcting itself, as I have several other eggs with pips and didn't want to mess up the humidity, and when I came back a few minutes later the chicks was up 4 wheelin over the other eggs
big_smile.png

Quote:
NOTORIUS LG DESIGN FLAW---- WELL KNOWN HERE IN GAMEBIRD COUNTRY WHERE WE ROUTINELY DEAL IN HIGH HUMIDITY. NOT SO MUCH FUSS WITH CHICKEN EGGS AND MANY OTHER POULTRY SPECES. I HAVE A FEW LG'S, ASIDE FROM THE BLATANT LACK OF WATER SURFACE AREA IN THEIR BOTTOM DESIGN THEY ARE A NICE LIL BATORS... I CAN HELP WITH THE DESIGN FLAW, TAKE A CLEAN DISH SPONGE, OR DISPOSEABLE DIAPERS, FEMINE NAPKINS, TRAUMA DRESSING, ETC--- ANYTHING THAT IS POROUS AND HOLDS DECENT AMOUNT OF WATER AND SOAK IT DOWN WITH WARM WATER AND SET IT IN THE LG... OFTEN NEEDS RE-WETTING EVERY 2-3 DAYS, BUT IT WORKS WELL. TRY 1 AT 1ST AND IF THAT DOESNT GET YOU UP HIGH ENOUGH ADD ANOTHER...THIS HELPS WITH FORCED AIR DURING LOCKDOWN/ HATCHING TOO, ESPECIALLY IF YOU COVER THE FAN WITH IT
smile.png
BUYS JR MORE TIME BEFORE HE GETS SHRINK WRAPPED.

Quote:
TOLD YA! 4WD! HE'S IN THERE BAJA'ING OVER ALL THEM LATE HATCHING SLOW POKE SUCKERS LIKE GRAVE DIGGER! HE HE!

THEN AGAIN MAYBE ITS JUST THESE SWAMP QUAIL STRAINS I HAVE HERE?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom