Hatching notes summer 2022

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
Here are my end of summer updates on my attempts at egg incubation, keet brooding, and Guinea hen brooding. Incubation wise, I had two separate hatches. The first was terrible, continuing my pattern of eggs that failed to pip at lockdown. I had tried a new turner but that didn’t help, so for hatch 2, I incubated at higher humidity (avg 42% before lockdown vs 28% first hatch). That helped a lot, and my latest hatch rate at lockdown was much improved. Only 2/22 eggs failed to pip. However, I still had several eggs that didn’t zip properly and needed assistance. Those keets did well but then I ended up with two more that were shrink wrapped and needed assistance, and more that pipped and then shrink wrapped and were DIS. So, going forward, I think I need to keep working with increasing the humidity. Overall 25% hatch success at low humidity and >80% at higher humidity.

Keet brooding: another issue I’ve had is with more keets dying after hatch than I expected. With hatch 1, I had 3/18 die at about a week old. I was using puppy pads in the brooder and noted some poly threads had been ripped up and likely ingested, so I opened the 3 keets to see if they had blocked. I really didn’t see that they had blocked, though I did find poly threads in the intestines in 2 keets. All three keets though had a large volume of greenish yolk persisting, consistent with omphalitis. For the second brooding, I went old school with large pine flakes covered in paper towels to start in the brooder. Keets seemed to do well in that, but I still had 3/15 keets die at 3 days of age. I suspect heat stress as it was hot outside (100 F) and my kid had left the garage door open so the garage temp sky rocketed for an hour. Those three keets all died within 3 hours of the door opening, bringing garage temp from 85F to 95F. Two heat stroke keets were the shrink wrapped keets that I’d “saved” so apparently they were still affected by the difficult hatch. I was surprised they had heat exhaustion as the heat lamp is only on half the brooder so they should have been able to move away from the heat lamp and 95F shouldn’t have been too hot. Lesson learned though: young keets, especially if they’ve had a difficult hatch, don’t thermoregulate well. I hatched a Slate and light? Coral blue, so I decided I had to save those and add to flock. That means that I would be integrating birds, which I really dislike, so I decided to go for broke and order some fancy colored keets from Guinea Farm too!
92FF92B3-3DD6-494B-96C9-D8D75FAA0DA4.jpeg

1DE104AC-A263-4676-BEE4-5DA2729E9D6F.jpeg

Shipped keets: these Guinea Farm shipped keets are only 9 days younger than the keets from my hatch but the size difference is already incredible!!! Keets arrived after 36 hr transport. They looked amazingly good for shipped keets and I was cautiously optimistic that they would do well. After reading so many posts about die offs of shipped keets I was nervous about: heat/cold/shipping stress resulting in pasty butt (enteritis), omphalitis, plus coccidiosis.The shipped keets looked good, but I could immediately see that they didn’t thermoregulate as well as my home hatched keets. They kept piling up on top of each other directly under the heat light, but my thermometer was telling me it was too hot there, like 103F. If I lowered the light to increase the temps, they would stop piling but pant. If I raised the light so brooder temps were more typical (100F at warmest and 90F at cooler edges) they would pile again. Today is day 4 with those shipped keets and I’ve already lost two, both on Day 3 after arrival. This is despite good eating and drinking behavior of most keets, availability of electrolytes/probiotics as well as water, and a nervous, constant adjustment of temperature. Sadly several look rather subdued so I expect to lose more. :hit
8B54B28E-7625-4014-9DFD-4910C46DB70B.jpeg

D27F0748-B098-44DA-B5E2-3DD0A6DE2077.jpeg

613D6AAA-B69A-4F4E-94DC-6DE3D9739BDD.jpeg

94417849-8F08-459C-903A-DE5D3B716D66.jpeg

Guinea hen coop brooding: a disaster this year! I’m sharing in full disclosure of the difficulties of Guinea hen brooding but I made lots of mistakes. First off, I said before that I’ll never hatch with multiple broodies again but I broke my own rule. I’ve had a bobcat I can’t dissuade, so guineas have been locked up a lot and that made many go broody. Lemon Pie is a 4 yr old hen that’s very dominant and raised keets in the past, so I figured she would keep the other hens in line. Sadly though, 1 week before hatching, I let the guineas out while I supervised. Darn bobcat grabbed Lemon Pie and killed her before I could help. LP’s 4 yr old sister Pearl took over LPs spot on the nest that night. I should have pulled the plug on my plan then but I didn’t. The other two broody hens had successfully hatched or cared for keets in the past so I left them with six 24 day eggs, divided between their three side by side nests. I added 4 more fake eggs/nest so each hen had six eggs to sit on. In the end, I found 3 hatched keets, but 2 were dead. One more egg failed to hatch and I couldn’t find one more egg! As happened in their past, the presence of one keet was not enough to get hens off the nest and feeding the keet. Also, Pearl kept trying to peck the keet while the less dominant hens tried to hide the keet from her. I kicked out Pearl (who was happy to leave) and tried introducing several more just hatched incubator keets, with a wire box around them. This was a plan that @BennieAnTheJets had successfully used previously, so I was hopeful hens would assume these were flock keets and accept them. Nope. Both hens tried to attack the new keets and became very agitated in general. I finally admitted defeat and grabbed the solo surviving hen-hatched keet, with the requisite ripped up arm to show for it. Poor moms were so confused by the whole thing and so upset that their keet was taken. Traumatic for all. Now I’m working on a 6x2 box I’ll add to their coop and house the keets, once more stable, and try integrating the old fashioned “look don’t touch” way. Wish us all luck!

Last edited:
As someone who has raised guinea fowl, I appreciate your candor in sharing your experiences - the good and the bad. What a wonderful assortment of colors! :love

Best wishes for the integration and for your growing flock!
Thanks! I really like it when hen brooding works, and there’s very little I enjoy more than seeing the babies being protected and taught by mom and the flock! However, it’s certainly a risky endeavor and I’ve had a lot of losses too, so I wouldn’t want anyone to expect smooth sailing from my posts.
Last year:
FEEB8D6F-F0D2-4F60-85EB-F8C2DB194F4D.jpeg

Update: My two home bred/hatched keets (giant keets in the back) are three weeks old and the GF keets are just shy of two weeks. The GF keets are SO much smaller than my home hatched keets, and several of the GF keets are growing particularly slowly and are more sedate than the rest. My poor doers are mostly about half of the sky blues and pastels, with the slates and pintos seeming more vigorous. At 3-4 days after arrival, I lost 4/20 shipped keets, two sky blue, one pastel, and one pinto. One had omphalitis but the other three just were found dead with no pasty butt or other obvious problems. All are eating and drinking and growing now.

After one week, I combined the older and younger keets. They were immediately fine with each other, though trampling by the comparatively gigantic older keets is certainly a concern! I had intended to sell six of the GF keets, but ultimately decided that it’s likely I’ll lose some of these poor doers so I’m keeping them all. I’m working on a brooder to add to the outside Guinea coop and hope to shift the keets there in about a week, when the younger keets are all feathered.

Attachments

• F7F608CD-A232-4099-BF13-08720B652100.jpeg
    F7F608CD-A232-4099-BF13-08720B652100.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FEEAA534-096B-40E4-A45A-3DD2068CD4B9.jpeg
    FEEAA534-096B-40E4-A45A-3DD2068CD4B9.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 14
Update: Guinea Farm keets are now 4 weeks old and 16 remain, plus the two keets I saved from my last hatch.
981A8B93-1A42-42E2-8EDD-A30F308AF886.jpeg

I had lost four in the first few days after arrival. Several of the sky blue and pastel keets struggled at about 2.5 weeks so I put them all on high dose amprolium for five days and still have them on the low dose amprolium in water. One sky blue is stunted next to the rest, but now seems to be recovering and active.
519CDA77-B3CA-4562-91EE-69B47A79213E.jpeg

Making the new coop brooder took me for-ever! My family was SO ready for keets to be out of the garage!
52E89665-37EE-41F8-945F-22E08BEAF14F.jpeg

And I see lots of things I should have done differently, like another six inches of height would have been so helpful. I made a DIY peck o matic feeder for it and that’s been a mixed success as the feed doesn’t flow well if the level is low-ish. They like the hanging water cups though and the water is now so much cleaner than their little chick waterer that I was cleaning twice a day with it still an awful mess.
6C87CC09-DE0E-4242-BF4E-4DC95D43C7CA.jpeg

I was worried about flock acceptance but today is day 3 in the coop brooder and I think that the flock is doing as well as I could hope for. Brilliant violet cock Razorback is in love with the keets. :love He hangs out next to them trying to get in, tries to call them over for mealworms, gets all upset when they call, etc., very cute.
CF301AA3-36E9-4C97-A6EF-27E534F968C5.jpeg

The dominant hens are not as understanding and are still pecking at keets through the wire, though much less today than yesterday when Concord was trying to attack with gusto!

I have a brooder plate on them for nights as lows are in the 50s - makes me nervous and will be happy when they don’t need it anymore.
6F2D598B-7D2B-4EE1-B5E8-01DA30E3D373.jpeg

Update: Guinea Farm keets are now 4 weeks old and 16 remain, plus the two keets I saved from my last hatch.
View attachment 3274294

I had lost four in the first few days after arrival. Several of the sky blue and pastel keets struggled at about 2.5 weeks so I put them all on high dose amprolium for five days and still have them on the low dose amprolium in water. One sky blue is stunted next to the rest, but now seems to be recovering and active.
View attachment 3274304

Making the new coop brooder took me for-ever! My family was SO ready for keets to be out of the garage!
View attachment 3274291
And I see lots of things I should have done differently, like another six inches of height would have been so helpful. I made a DIY peck o matic feeder for it and that’s been a mixed success as the feed doesn’t flow well if the level is low-ish. They like the hanging water cups though and the water is now so much cleaner than their little chick waterer that I was cleaning twice a day with it still an awful mess.
View attachment 3274292

I was worried about flock acceptance but today is day 3 in the coop brooder and I think that the flock is doing as well as I could hope for. Brilliant violet cock Razorback is in love with the keets. :love He hangs out next to them trying to get in, tries to call them over for mealworms, gets all upset when they call, etc., very cute.
View attachment 3274288
The dominant hens are not as understanding and are still pecking at keets through the wire, though much less today than yesterday when Concord was trying to attack with gusto!

I have a brooder plate on them for nights as lows are in the 50s - makes me nervous and will be happy when they don’t need it anymore.
View attachment 3274289
I'm glad Razorback has taken an interest. It's so fun watching the males do the parenting. You're braver than I. It dipped into the 30°s last night w/o me realizing it. No one wants to come out and play today. 🤣 Back in the70s tomorrow.

I'm glad Razorback has taken an interest. It's so fun watching the males do the parenting. You're braver than I. It dipped into the 30°s last night w/o me realizing it. No one wants to come out and play today. 🤣 Back in the70s tomorrow.
Braver using the brooder plate? Yeah it definitely makes me nervous! Can’t wait to get the keets out and see how it goes with Razorback, but he’s too low ranking to keep all the mean boys and girls away so I will need to wait… I’m thinking I should give it two weeks but I am hoping to get the keets out while small enough that the rest of the flock don’t view them as threats.

Braver using the brooder plate? Yeah it definitely makes me nervous! Can’t wait to get the keets out and see how it goes with Razorback, but he’s too low ranking to keep all the mean boys and girls away so I will need to wait… I’m thinking I should give it two weeks but I am hoping to get the keets out while small enough that the rest of the flock don’t view them as threats.
Braver putting them outside, period. Remember Numi?!:gig Ofcourse yours are still older than she was, she hatched Nov. 3rd. Such a busy year for her and she's not even one yet.
But we all know I'm a 🐔. They were calling to come out awhile ago, but I said no, with a promise to tell them a story when they're older abt hurricanes and killing fields.
Probably can't compare - Mia was the Alpha, but then Mama died and I added keets, kind of rocked the totem pole a bit. But he then took over Numi's keets & was back on top until I sold them, now it's rocky again. He tries to bully the 7 and Brodie steps between them,or Numi does that thing like Zuri, dodging under him as if to knock him off his feet? 🤷‍♀️
Was checking them over yesterday- Numi has broke the tip off her helmet, Mia has a dark spot/hole? on the back of his. Spraying veterycin on both as the most I could find was that his could be a bacterial or fungal infection and veterycin wld treat both. Hers looks like she just rammed it into something. I am curious why they seem to dry up and look narly after breeding season is over. If it truly is bone it would still need a blood supply?
You have a lot more birds than I do; I just chucked the 7 in the run at 4 weeks. They slept shut in Numi's coop, but were among everyone during the day. From the moment Numi's keets left, everyone moved into the old coop and sleep together. But I do have shelves up higher that the young ones can go to & get away from adults. The adults can & do get up there, but don't bother to when keets go up.

Braver putting them outside, period. Remember Numi?!:gig Ofcourse yours are still older than she was, she hatched Nov. 3rd. Such a busy year for her and she's not even one yet.
But we all know I'm a 🐔. They were calling to come out awhile ago, but I said no, with a promise to tell them a story when they're older abt hurricanes and killing fields.
Probably can't compare - Mia was the Alpha, but then Mama died and I added keets, kind of rocked the totem pole a bit. But he then took over Numi's keets & was back on top until I sold them, now it's rocky again. He tries to bully the 7 and Brodie steps between them,or Numi does that thing like Zuri, dodging under him as if to knock him off his feet? 🤷‍♀️
Was checking them over yesterday- Numi has broke the tip off her helmet, Mia has a dark spot/hole? on the back of his. Spraying veterycin on both as the most I could find was that his could be a bacterial or fungal infection and veterycin wld treat both. Hers looks like she just rammed it into something. I am curious why they seem to dry up and look narly after breeding season is over. If it truly is bone it would still need a blood supply?
You have a lot more birds than I do; I just chucked the 7 in the run at 4 weeks. They slept shut in Numi's coop, but were among everyone during the day. From the moment Numi's keets left, everyone moved into the old coop and sleep together. But I do have shelves up higher that the young ones can go to & get away from adults. The adults can & do get up there, but don't bother to when keets go up.
I had hoped to get these keets into the coop brooder two weeks ago, but there is no way these guys are staying in for the winter! They’ll be fine with the weather once they are a little older. Surviving my adults and the bobcat are a whole other story though! Most of the adults are very calm around the keets and seem to like being near them, taking naps and the like next to the brooder. Concord though is still very aggressive with the keets…

I had hoped to get these keets into the coop brooder two weeks ago, but there is no way these guys are staying in for the winter! They’ll be fine with the weather once they are a little older. Surviving my adults and the bobcat are a whole other story though! Most of the adults are very calm around the keets and seem to like being near them, taking naps and the like next to the brooder. Concord though is still very aggressive with the keets…
It is usually the lowest one in the pecking order that does this.

Back
Top Bottom