Hatching Quail Eggs Under Hens

Quote:
nothing works better than a good ole broody hen

Maybe for chickens, but if you are serious about raising game birds of any kind....You need yourself a bator.

I have been hatching Quail under Chickens for several years. I use a small gentile breed of bantum chickens that I raise myself. Thy are really gentle and on the smaller side. The breed is called sharama[if I spelled that right] and I have a better sucess rate then with a incubaterPluss the hens take care of them. If you raise the quail with the hens they will just do better. I don't recomend using larger hens as I am sure they would smash them. If I can help any way my Email is
[email protected]

I hatched 8 coturnix quail under a golden sexlink. She didn't squash them after they hatched and was a great mother to them. I read this feed before I put the eggs under her and decided to do it even though everyone said it wouldn't work. She did a great job.

I have a broody but don't want any more chicks.....I have 3 different chick groups right now. I have Several fertile quail eggs, gonna try to use the broody although she is a RIR. Hopefully it works. I've been told to have her sit for a few days and then put quail eggs under her as it only takes 16-18 days for the quails vs. 21 for chicks. Thought anyone?

Sorry, I just saw this. I put the eggs under my hen pretty early in her broody stage. She didn't have any issues with lockdown and all the eggs hatched. Hopefully it all went well for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom